A/C vs. swamp cooler? (2023 Update)

If it's Prime, it's 'free'. They will often point out that it's cheaper from other sources but often the shipping costs make up the difference. Also the third party sources don't have the world by the balls so the delivery time is a week to ten days rather than two days.

I've gotten some obvious Chinese knock-offs from Amazon sellers; one email and the problem is resolved. usually they tell me to keep the crap, refund the price, and kick the seller off their marketplace.

Hey, I'm an American and I want instant two day gratification, not waiting for a slow boat to China so I'll forget why I wanted it by the time it arrives.

I have gotten some stuff from eBay, generally strange stuff like laptop keyboards that normally don't show up for sale.

Reply to
rbowman

Australia doesn't have alligators:

What they do have in great abundance is salties:

Never met one, don't want to. The few American crocs in southern Florida are pussycats compared to salties or Nile crocodiles.

As far as alligators most of the problems with humans are like the problems with rattlesnakes; they start with "Hold my beer and watch this."

Reply to
rbowman

The "window" in a bedroom is all about egress. (at least in the US 1&2 family building codes) It is called an "Emergency escape and rescue opening".

Reply to
gfretwell

I've never been much of a TV watcher but I can't remember ever living anyplace where there were more than five or six broadcast channels. We used to have 6 but the sixth was some sort of Christian thing that never figured out how to do digital.

Cable has a lot. When I'm traveling it sometimes takes me ten minutes to spool through the hundred of so channels on the motel TV before deciding they are all utter shit or show stupid ads every five minutes.

The best you can hope for is EWTN (Eternal Word Television Network). They feature nuns praying the rosary; very soothing and no ads other than the implied ad for the Big Kahuna.

Reply to
rbowman

Canadian code requires light AND egress - but in a situation where it is not a rental unit, only 2 exits are required in an average sized basement - one of which MUST be direct - either a door or "egress window". If it is a separate living area the rules change and at least in Waterloo egress is required from each bedroom. You can NOT have a bedroom without a window, and the size of the window, if not egress, is dictated by the floor area of the room - or to put it another way, if you are adding a bedroom in a basement it's size is limited by the size of the existing window unless you are willing to enlarge it.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Well in my standard bedroom on the 1st (USA) or ground (UK) floor, I can still only get out of the door. The window only opens at the top. And anyone with a 2 storey house who sleeps upstairs has the same problem. Unless someone provided a ladder for you to climb down, you're f***ed.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

A pigs heart can be transplanted into a human, would you say they're the same race as us? How come we eat them? And you're wrong about the kids - genetics plays a huge role in determining intelligence.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Everybody should homeschool. I would never send my kids to be indoctrinated by strangers.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

I have no desire to pay a large amount of money just to get freepost.

If I search on Ebay for a widget, I can sort by price. Where the price = includes the postage. So I don't get someone selling something for =A35=

0 + =A310 postage listed before someone selling at =A355.

-- =

"The most dangerous thing in the world is to try to leap a chasm in two = jumps" -- David Lloyd George, former UK Prime Minister

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Same here. Especially Li Ion batteries rated at 2500mAh that I tested to be 500mAh. If I try to use them in my camera, it tells me they're empty when they're full, as they have a shitty output current.

But I can easily tell which sellers are con merchants. The Ebay feedback system is good for this. I can instantly see how fast they tend to ship, whether the quality is good, etc, etc.

If I need some more of something some time in the future, like some more superglue, I'll get it from China if it's cheaper.

If I need a replacement part to repair something I need to use soon, I'll get it from the UK.

I used to buy large quantities of those for the spare keys, as I worked at a school and the kids would keep pulling the keys off. Before I worked there they used to replace the whole keyboard, replaced by Dell at great expense. But I just started buying second hand or broken keyboards for f*ck all on Ebay, and using the keys to replace the nicked ones. They seemed to stop bothering once they realised it wasn't causing anyone that much cost or hassle.

Once a kid thought it would be funny to change the code on the numeric padlock to lock a trolley full of laptops. I cut the padlock off with a rather large bolt cutter in front of the class and nobody bothered doing that again.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

I can't tell which is which, so I'd shoot either on sight.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

You can get about 100 here through an aerial with "digital freeview". Sure, you're supposed to pay the thieving license fee which only funds one TV company, the BBC, but apart from that they're free, no subscriptions, no encryption.

Don't they realise showing 6 minutes of ads doesn't sell twice as much as 3 minutes of ads? People get pissed off and leave the room or fast forward it. They should just have one or two ads per break, then people might just sit and watch them.

I'd only watch that if the nuns were naked.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

I can understand wanting to escape, but why on earth do you have a law about the amount of light?! Most people have their eyes shut in the bedroom!

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

You call everything "istan" on the end, but claim not to be racist?

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

You should have asked to be an extra.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

All of the news reports. Films have more reality than the news.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Nothing wrong with hyperactive, but some kids really are stupid. They ought to abort any imperfect child before it leaves the womb. Why put someone through that misery?

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Do you think the heat is what makes them thick?

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

I once tried to findd a stone circle WITH GPS up a mountain, never found it. I guess it's grown over.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Never save those who are so pathetic they cannot swim.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife