A/C vs. swamp cooler? (2023 Update)

Not really, you are just thinking about the Arabs but there are a shitload of Muslims in India and south Asia.

Reply to
gfretwell

AKA "animals near here that could kill me"

Reply to
gfretwell

Either you know how to land or you don't. Most falls are not expected and if your landing is instinctive, you get to walk away from most of them. The trick is knowing how to turn a fall into a jump. My old roomie was a Recon Marine and we used to practice this all the time. It has saved me from serious injury more times than I can count. I think it should be required training for everyone, particularly old people.

It spreads the energy across various points of the body so no one of them takes a serious hit. Once you understand the technique you can roll in just about any direction from just about any fall. It looks pretty cool when you do it too, especially when you are over

70 ;-)
Reply to
gfretwell

We cut a door into our bedroom wall here but in my old house in Maryland I installed sprinklers in the egress route. It was one of those "split foyer" houses where the stairs between floors was a choke point and the utilities were under those stairs. I installed sprinklers under the foyer in the utility room, in the foyer and in the hall on both floors leading to there from the bedrooms. A fireman I know told me a few horror stories and I had to act. The scary thing is this was the most popular house design around for years up there. It probably still is.

I had to fight to get a door in the lower level. Most did not have one making this "one way out" from down stairs, up that staircase. They ended up regrading the back yard and giving me my door as a condition of the purchase. I am not even sure how that got out of plan review.

Reply to
gfretwell

The highest point in Lee County is the landfill. It used to be Mound Key, the Calusa Indian landfill 500 years ago.

Reply to
gfretwell

Not really, the humidity there is horrible too.

Reply to
gfretwell

ARGH!!!!!

I say, was that Perkins?

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Then stop letting them in.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

If you can't see he ground that's kinda harder.

The only falls I've had a serious injury from are colliding with a brick wall while on a trolley going down a hill, and colliding with a large stupid bloke who didn't look before crossing the road in front of my bicycle. Neither of those situations allows for a controlled landing.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

The local landfill to me (still in operation) has new houses being built next to it. Who the f*ck lives there? There must be a lot of people with no sense of smell.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

But that makes the semi naked women all shiny.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Most people are smart enough not to buy a house next to a landfill but I would not be surprised if they do develop it. A clue is when you see sea gulls in your yard and you are 15 miles from the beach.

Reply to
gfretwell

They seem to sell easily, maybe they're really cheap?

And I can't tell with the gulls as there's a an estuary near it.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

And sub-sahara Africa, and Indonesia, and the Phillipines. Lots of "black muslims" in the USA too. And not all Arabs are muslims either - - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

So Indonesians look like Arabs? Chechens look like Uyghurs? Persians look like Pakistanis? Is Christian a race?

Reply to
rbowman

In some parts of the US people are the animals that could kill you. To date there have been 173 homicides in Chicago. Black bears killed two people in 2017 in the entire US and Canada combined.

Reply to
rbowman

Billy Connolly describes Scots as "blue people" and I assume Sword thinks anyone darker than him are all the same race.

Reply to
gfretwell

The home of the famous Glasgow smile. They must be really friendly people there.

Reply to
rbowman

Pines Peak Ski Resort in northern Indiana has a massive 150' of vertical drop. That's my kind of ski slope; I really don't like going downhill on skis very much.

Reply to
rbowman

I thought the high point of Florida was Magic Mountain. Seriously, I think it's the third highest point in FL.

Whiteface is one of the nicer mountains in the NE. Can't beat the views and there is a nice highway to the top.

Reply to
krw