tomatoes coming in

the past few weeks. today picking already about 7 buckets full so should be busy putting those up the rest of the day.

i love the smell of tomatoes when i'm canning them.

hope everyone is having a good day/week in their gardens? :)

beans are also starting to finish up and need some going through to get pods before they rot from any rains.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Are you still allergic to tomatoes?

I MIGHT be a little bit envious. Maybe ...

:-)

T wrote: ...

i'm not sure, i haven't tested it strongly but...

i've had three toasted tomato sandwiches the past three weeks without any rashes or reactions. perhaps i've gotten beyond whatever it was that was causing me to react, but also perhaps also not eating so many at one time like i used to is ok.

we'll see. i'm hoping so because i've really been enjoying the few sandwiches i've had. :)

all along i've been having squirts of ketchup or a slice of tomato here or there on a burger, but i've not had a regular plate of spaghetti and meatballs with tomato based sauce for years without reacting so i've not tried that in a long time.

for someone raised on Italian style cuisine with tons of tomatoes in my diet since a very young age it has not been fun the past several years trying to avoid them. a few times i've just gone ahead and had lasagna anyways and paid the price willingly.

as i say, we'll see...

ended up with 42 quarts of tomato chunks from yesterday's harvest. we also have a full five gallon bucket of Roma tomatoes to give away to people who want them.

it rained almost 10hrs straight last night and this morning. any dry beans that were ready are going to be in danger of rotting in their shells. i won't be able to pick until tomorrow as it's going to be way too muddy and wet today.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

T wrote: ...

i did take pictures of the jars when done canning, so eventually i'll post a pic on the website when i get it uploaded. i'm not on any sort of automatic device for transferring or linking to images. i don't have a cell phone or iphone or any of that sort of thing so it does take me some effort to get things moved across from the camera to the website and then get them uploaded.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Sometimes folks react to what is added to the food, not the food itself. You garden organically, so if you react to your own garden, then you are actually allergic to the item.

Conventionally grown product and well as organic who cheat are covered with chemicals. And the farmers are not responsible for most of it. The packers ton it on way more than the farmers. A truck load of tomatoes can be destroyed by pests in a very short order. The math behind it is the same a for a nuclear reaction!

Here is hoping you are not allergic to tomatoes! (I was raised in the Italian tradition too -- diabetes in the wings!)

No rain at all here in the last month. My favorite fishing hole is drying up. :'(

-T

T wrote: ...

reactive, allergic, food or digestive issues can all be very hard to figure out without a lot of patience.

i do know that increasing fiber in the diet has helped a lot of various things along those lines, but i've pretty much always been able to eat about anything once my childhood allergies were desensitized.

i don't really look into that sort of thing because i hardly ever buy tomatoes these days. Mom will buy the cherry tomatoes at the store during the off season, but those are handled quite different than the larger tomato brethren.

only if you have the disposition for it. as of yet in the extended family on that side very few have had diabetes or heart issues. what usually gets us is skin cancer.

i wish i could have sent a lot of this rain west as we didn't need it here. to help put out those fires and clear up the air/ashes.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Since we both are semi Keto (Ketogenic) with our Ancestral diets, fiber is a big issue. Here are our favorite sources of low carb and high fiber:

Ground Chia seed (it is a great thickener) avocados macadamia nuts bamboo shoots jicama