Latest threads in Building Constructionshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

What's your favorite thin-wall anchor?
Mobile homes (not RVs) have this pathetic, thin board stuff for walls. It won't even hold a sheet metal screw. There are so many anchors available for drywall, but which is best for this type of...
7
7

OT: To Boeing union
As a machinist with 40 yrs experience, I have avoided unions like the plague. A strike at this point seems ill-advised, EADS is taking over the 100+ seat market. Boeing has a 275 billion dollar...
1
1

Newbie needs lots of info on PT lumber
Hi: I am a total newbie when it comes to building. I bought some plans for a deck (eventually a gazebo), spent $$$ on tools, and also spent several hundred $$ on PT lumber at Home Depot this spring....
7
7

finishing concrete sidewalk curbs
I noticed that the forms on concrete curbs are pulled off fairly quickly. How do they finish these? Are they rubbed or brushed with a concrete slurry to get the bug holes out etc? Also, how soon after...
15
15

Construction Marketing
There is a new article up on the Construction Marketing Blog entitled Construction Marketing - Advertising. The article talks about contractor's use of yellow pages ads and newspaper ads. It has...

400A resedential service
I upgraded my house from 100A to 200A 5 years ago. I buried 3" conduit from the pole to the house. I was told the 3" would support 400A. At the time I did not have the money to install 400A, so I just...
49
49

OPEN POST TO THE UNION GUYS IN THE AUDIENCE
I posted this to Ronnie and of course he didn't answer... Ah, it all comes down to money, doesn't it? If you wanted to make CEO money, you should have become a CEO. Surely, you knew going in...
1
1

How to install tile over carpet glue?
My client wants ceramic or porcelain tile on her back porch. The previous owner had glue-down green carpet/fake grass there. My question is: Can I put thinset down on top of the remaining skim layer...

Underpnning Existing Foundation and Structure
Hello All, Hoping I can get some valuable advise on a future project. I have a 50 year old ranch style home with full basement. The basement only has a ceiling height of aobut 7'7" We have...
3
3

Check Wind direction for working outside monitor
Check Wind direction and outdoor and indoor temperature http://www.wellcomestore.com/servlet/the-6/Professional-touch-screen-Weather/Detail

Securing Deck Posts Inground
What's the proper way to secure vertical deck post in the ground and why? 1) Dig the hole, pour a concrete base, let it cure, then place the pole on top of the base and fill the rest of the hole...
2
2

Submittal problem
Guys, I have a quick question. Lets say you are GC. Windows manufacturer prepares windows schedule submittal for you, but windows shown on submittal are smaller than those on drawings. You send this...
17
17

Cost to re do plumbing
How much (ballpark estimate) does it cost to re do the entire plumbing for a house with 2.5 bath and a kitchen. Assuming everything had to be gutted and replaced including pipes. Thank you Ken
12
12

Garage Framing Question
Hello, I am converting my garage into a living room, and have a question about framing. I have 11 foot ceilings, soon to be 10 foot once I add the floor. 7' is 2x4, and the bottom 3' is...
2
2

Adding stair - can one tread be on other side of door?
Hi all: I've been planning a bonus room addition to my house for years. This will require the installation of a stairway from the first floor to the new room. When I designed the addition several...
15
15