Triton TRC 001 Router

Page 1 of 3
11 years ago I bought a Triton 3.5 hp router to hang in my router table. It has worked flawlessly up until a couple of days ago.
It has variable speed electronic feed back to regulate the speed. Anyway the router was operating at a lower speed setting and suddenly it went to full speed. Turning the speed control dial had no immediate effect but eventually the router went back to the set speed with no other issues. It has done this every time since that day. I use this router to spin raised panel bits but do not want the router to go full speed speed when do int that.
Anyway locating a replacement part is looking difficult.
In the event I have to replace this router, what are y'all using to spin big bits in a router table.
The Triton has VS, fine and coarse depth control, above the table bit changes, and plenty of power to spin those large bits. I would like to have the same features.
Suggestions? I have strongly considered the big Milwaukee.

Sounds like the triac in the speed control circuitry has shorted. Take the router to someone who knows electronics, and have it fixed.
Actually, one can also contact Triton: <http://www.tritontools.com .
Joe Gwinn
wrote: >> It has variable speed electronic feed back to regulate the speed.

If it went back to the intended speed, then it's unlikely the triac (or anything else) has shorted. More likely there's a capacitor in the speed control circuit which is failing. Or, possibly the connection to the speed control dial has become intermittant(*).
In any event, the suggestion to have someone knowledgable in electronics look at it isn't bad. Altho the most likely thing a tech would say is "replace the control board" which might cost almost as much as a new router.
John
(* if that is the problem, that's bad design. A good design would fail safe, by going to minimum speed, not maximum)
On 9/25/2015 11:13 AM, John McCoy wrote:

If I lived in England the part is about 50 Euros IIRC, A new Triton is about $300.

On 9/25/2015 12:38 PM, Leon wrote:

With shipping about a third the price of a new one. Won't they ship to the US?
On 9/25/2015 12:03 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I got a response and I "think" they are actually here in the US. They have explained that they are working on converting the prices over to US$. They are saying, as you indicated, about $100 shipped. I'm checking further as to how long,a closer estimate of price, etc.

England doesn't use Euros. They use the Pound Sterling.
Not sure what the current exchange rates are, but 50 Euro is ballpark $50, and 50 Pounds is around $75.
John
On 9/25/2015 2:41 PM, John McCoy wrote:

My mistake, I believe you are correct on the exchange rate. Probably closer to $90 with shipping.

I use a PC7518 motor in a lift.
On 9/25/2015 12:24 PM, krw wrote:

That has crossed my mind also, quite a few times 11 years ago before I went with the Triton. It is butt ugly but is designed to go from the work bench to the router table with out changing bases. It pretty much covered all the bases.
I can go Triton again and be done or a new big router and lift for about twice the price.
Thank you.
On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 09:46:44 -0500

it sounds like you want to buy something new but
do a tear-down and post it on youtube
maybe it is dusty
if it's a bad capacitor sometimes that can be very obvious and they are cheap do you have a festool soldering iron or if you don't solder than check ebay for a similar router and use it for parts
On 9/25/2015 2:11 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

The thing is 11 years old so it's a gamble but probably the best way to go, repairing.

That would be very boring. Remove two 1.5" long screws, remove the cap and lift the speed control off, disconnect the three electrical push pull connectors. There would almost be more to see watching me move router from the router table to the work bench. ;~)

I considered that but once the top cap was off it was surprisingly clean inside. Just a touch of dust. The speed control module is a housed circuit board and heat sink with a dark resin sealing it all in.

You can not see anything other than the speed dial, three wires and the heat sink.

NO! Where did you see one???? ;~)
On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 15:54:06 -0500

are tear-downs not boring has that stopped anyone from watching them they get an amazing number of views
the entertainment factor was not the reason the reason is that more eyes get to have a look

if it is potted than there is not much to do

the festool of soldering irons is the metcal they also are very quiet you oughta do videos based on all your contributions here you would probably have lots to say probably easily get festool and sawstop to sponsor your channel
On 9/25/2015 4:54 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

Yeah, I'm not one that wants to get into that. Too much time to invest and equipment.

I'm guessing it is potted...

Oh... ;~)

Yeah that would be another job. I wold rather be building things rather than "possibly" having a lot of people watching me pretty much build nothing. There are a lot of well done videos of equipment that has hardly been used. I'm not that guy.

Festool doesn't make camera equipment, either. ;-)
Really, the equipment isn't expensive but I'd have no interest in doing this either.

Metcals were nice ten years ago. I gave mine away after I used one of the new Wellers (and they're about half the price). When you're soldering components that are as small as .5mm x 1mm, or even smaller the tools matter.

Just curious... Which one you'd get? I've got an American Beauty that's getting to be a young friend. I'll probably keep it for at least another 4 decades, it's only halfway through its first.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 26 Sep 2015 13:14:11 GMT, Puckdropper

Weller WX2 base with a variety of pencils, tweezers, and tips. Like the Metcal, it's designed for electronics not general purpose work. They do have a 120W pencil that works great on large copper areas but this thing is complete overkill, or worse, if you're replacing an American Beauty.
On 9/26/2015 8:07 AM, krw wrote:

Yeah! the odds would be stacked against me. ;~)

Time would be the biggest expense. Take 43, walking out into the shop and greeting the audience. ;~) I have put a couple of videos up showing a few things I do, on Flickr. But I don't want to clean the shop up, or put in music that will appeal to 25% of the audience. Or spend my time answering questions to the YouTube world.

I had an old Radio Shack trigger model that finally gave up. I have never had any thing tiny for little circuits. I had a larger iron that I used for soldering stained glass and I have an old one that my father used with Western Electric back in the 40's, it's about 14" long.

I see your point, it's hard enough to focus everything that needs to be done, videoing the project would just cause distractions that cause mistakes. It would be one thing if your wife wanted to take up making videos, but she seems involved enough with her own projects. You seem to be doing well with what your doing so why screw it up with trying to focus on more then the project.
Mike M
On 9/27/2015 3:47 PM, Mike M wrote:

This all started seriously as a hobby as a get away from the stressful job. Then I said enough is enough and retired and focused on enjoying woodworking. Then I started selling my work. I am certainly not making a living doing this but I am not going after it either. My customers come to me and often from multiple level referrals, the best kind of customer. New customers often come to me sold on my quality and the ability to fill a need. I'm happy to share but I'm not going to bend over backwards to do so.