Poor man's router

Just saw this in Kinja. It looks fun and very useful. I'm thinking setting it up length-wise, going with the grain like a hand plane, and making some lines or holes for guides. Also, it looks like I could easily screw a fence along one side of the cutter to make rabbets.

Michael

Michael wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I suspect if you go with the grain you might not get a very tight hold on the chisel.

I also think that's a one-use tool - after you take the chisel out to sharpen it, it's not going to seat tightly again. OTOH, if you have a lot of need for such a thing, you probably would already have rabbet planes, shoulder planes, etc.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

I agree with John McC as regards the usefulness of the tool. Went on to watch a video following about preparing and sharpening chisels. Found that interesting. I really liked the guy's workshop. Not a power tool in sight. I was surprised to see the array of Stanley planes all placed sole down. (Note the number of Stanley boxes in cabinet and the number of hand braces). Nick.

Reply to
Nick

"Nick" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Nothing wrong with putting a plane sole down, assuming it's on a wood surface. After all, wood is what the sole is intended to be pushed across.

I do make it a habit to set my planes down on edge when I'm using them, because sometimes I'll set them on the table saw or jointer because there's too many bits and pieces on the bench. Definately don't want the blade hitting a cast iron surface!

BTW, at least some of those planes aren't Stanley. The #62 is a Lee Valley - it has the "handy grip" on the sides, which Stanley didn't use on that plane but LV does (not, on a plane of that size, that I can see how you'd use them).

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Setting the plane on the side keeps your much-sought perfect depth of cut for us weekenders. Paul Sellers is constantly micro-adjusting his planes, so it probably makes no difference to him.

Reply to
Michael

Michael wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You know, I haven't noticed much of a difference with sharpness after carefully setting my planes down on their sole. I usually put them down on a piece of hardboard, and while it might decrease the sharpness slightly so does using it. I usually don't spend much time planing, so sharpening once every 3-6 months doesn't bother me.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I don't see how sharpness would be an issue. As John McCoy says, wood is wood. Depth of cut is probably a non-issue as well, unless the plane is set down hard. But I'll continue to lay the plane on its side. What the heck.

Reply to
Michael

Just wondering here but do you think that setting the plane down on its blade, on a wood surface, would affect the depth of cut any more than simply planing wood?

Reply to
Leon

Michael wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

It's a good habit to have. Just in case you ever aren't paying attention and set the plane down on something hard.

But I do store my planes sole down. Except for the shoulder planes, which insist on falling over if I do.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Yes Plan for the unexpected.