corrugated fasteners

Anybody have any experience with these? I've got a couple projects coming up where these are probably the right tool for the job... NOT fine furniture! LOL Biscuits would be way too slow and pocket screws would only save me glue drying time over the biscuits. Mortise and tenon or lap joints would be overkill... most of it's pretty rough work.

The Senco is pricy and way more than I need... the Rockler fasteners are too narrow for my purposes--only a 1/2" rather than the more typical 1" or so. I see tools by SpotNails and Air Locker are available. The Bostitch is interesting... a brand I've got experience with... coil nailer for framing. I didn't find Porter Cable, Harbor Freight, or others tools.

Recommendations? Thoughts?

Thanks,

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Spotnails is adequate, I use(d) a Paslode MC10(??) Sometimes nothing else will work as well as a corrugated fastener.

I would buy the Spotnails as the Paslode must be stupid money by now. Performance in plywood can be erratic (due to grain direction changes) and can splinter the hell out of hardwoods. Making frames and cases out of poplar works well as does lengthening of particle board panels like countertops. (1/2" fastener into 11/16 PB backed by a block of granite (slab of steel) as a back-stop.) These type of nailers can kick like a mule hence make sure your work is very well supported and (backstopped??) Also not a good idea to use on MDF.

HTH

Reply to
Robatoy

It has been awhile, but I got some that were applied with a hammer. They also had some kind of driver for them that was much neater. But this ain't art. You pound them in and it holds the joint together. I saw them a month or so ago. I can't remember where I got them. If you just need them for a simple job, no need to buy a special tool. I assume you have a hammer.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

---------------------------------------- A little.

---------------------------------------- I doubt that.

---------------------------------------- Or much of anything else IMHO.

Don't expect them to carry much of a load.

I'd go back to the thinking chair and start over.

---------------------------------------- Definitely not a rough work device.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

ng up where these are probably the

's pretty rough work.

NOT a rough working device, Lew? I take that as a typo?

Reply to
Robatoy

I've got a Senco corrugated fastener gun. For some jobs it works fine, others not at all. Generally good for things like softwood frames that need to be held together temporarily until they get laminated or further attached to something. The fasteners aren't structural themselves - you can bend them with your fingers. But if you use glue they pull the joint closed reasonably well and hold it until dry. What is your actual application? JP

Reply to
JayPique

You've pretty much nailed what I need it for... hold pine frames together that will be laminated with hardboard or 3/8" ply, i.e, torsion boxes.

I've been thinking about another project where I could use it with oak veneered mdf. It's a wall paneling/wainscot project (a room full). I've got a huge pile of oak veneer--old thick stuff--and by using a vacuum press I would make up rails and stiles and panels. This makes me think hooking the rails and styles together is doable:

It's non-structural... the panels will sit in a rabet.

There are some other things along the lines of the first on the horizon coming along too...

I am mostly known for doing all kinds of handcut dovetails in my woodworking club. This this may seem like an odd addition to my arsenal of tools but it seems to be the right tool...

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I was wondering the same thing....

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

That'd be a perfect application for that fastener.

Reply to
Robatoy

----------------------- Yep.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

-------------------------------- If this were metal, it would be akin to tack welding.

Since it is only temporary, should work.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I've used 1/2" staples for holding the interior pieces when building torsion boxes and they've worked satisfactorily for me. YMMV. Art

Reply to
Artemus

I do the same thing for the interior pieces... that works out just fine for me too.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin