A couple of new tool purchases from B&Q

I made a couple of impulse purchases today

First was a MacAlister cordless nail gun for =A350. Looks like they are brand new to B&Q and instead of firing a clip of nails like a traditional gun, they take any single nail from 40mm to 150mm, so I thought it would be a good tool. How wrong.

Instead of it working like I would have expected - 'bang' and the nail goes in, it works like a hammer drill and essentially vibrates the nail in. Anyway it is crap and is going back tomorrow. It was OK with a

40mm clout nail into endgrain, but no good with a 3" round head into the side of some softwood timber. And it takes ages to even get part way in as it rattles away. I really can't see the point or the benefit of using it

Waste of time and money.

Second was a Stanley Project Master Bench. Like a B&D Workmate, but it has wheels and can be used as a sack truck for tool boxes etc.

Looked OK on the box in the shop, but after assembling it it seems like there is too much plastic and I wonder how easily the plastic bits will crack - including the main worktop? Another thing, part of the telescopic legs have excessive free play and the whole lot shakes when you try to cut some timber on it.

And from the Stanley brochure there is an intergral plug socket for three power tools to connect to. But it seems that this is for the US market, and we get a blanking plate with some conversion tables on it instead. WTF did they do that for?

I like the concept though, so will sort the rattlely legs out and fit my own plug sockets. And its =A350 so is unusually cheaper than anywhere else.

dg

Reply to
dg

I've been through half a dozen nail guns - all crap. Thanks for the tip.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Meaning electric ones?

I've had a go with a few of these and am inclined to agree - not terribly good.

If you want something that will work sensibly and reliably, then pneumatic ones will do, but look at manufacturers such as Senco, Porter Cable, Bostitch and Hitachi. I have a mixture of Senco and PC guns ranging from a small Senco 22ga pin nailer (used for fine work to pin things invisibly while gluing, through 15,16,18ga PC nailers for general work to a Senco framing nailer for large stuff. No problems with any of them and they get quite a bit of use. They will run from a tiny portable compressor because little air is needed.

The other product of choice for site work is the Paslode range. These are cordless, working with an impulse from explosion of a small gas charge.

Reply to
Andy Hall