What to look for in an air nailer?

I'm in the planning stage of our living room upgrade, which will continue into the dining room and hallway. I'll be installing; crown modling and built-in bookself/cabinets for sure. We are also kicking around the idea of wainscotting. A relative of my is offering me an

20 gal 4 HP air compressor for next to nothing. Now all I need is a nailer to go with it. For the above job I'm figuring I'll need something that will be able drive upto a 2-1/2" finish nail.

What are the essential feature for a nailer? I've seen things like;

3/4" to 2-1/2" vs 1-1/4" to 2-1/2" nail size Depth-of-drive adjuster ajustable exahust straight vs angled nailer oil and oiless etc.

Are the any nailers to stay away from?

Thanks in advance, Ed

Reply to
Echo

Look in the latest issue of AW for their reviews of nailers...

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

Senco says it all. george

Reply to
george

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

For the applications you are describing, getting an angled nailer will be a good idea. It makes getting tight into corners a lot easier. I'm not sure I've ever seen an "oiless" air nailer - all the ones I've used suggest putting several drops of oil in the air inlet to guard against any moisture from the compressor. Adjustable exhaust is good, too.

I have a porter-cable 16 gauge brad nailer which is great and a 23 gauge senco pin nailer which is also wonderful. I also got an 18 gauge harbor freight special, which isn't too bad for the $25 it cost, but you can definitely tell the difference. Other brands to consider are hitachi and bostitch, but probably others.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Reply to
Mark

Leon responds:

Most all of them do, probably all. I think Mark has not looked around much.

Charlie Self

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family." George W. Bush, Greater Nashua,N.H., Chamber of Commerce, Jan. 27, 2000

Reply to
Charlie Self

Reply to
Barry