Sawstop's suit against Ryobi is upheld

Page 7 of 13
On 10/10/2011 3:22 PM, Leon wrote:

I agree that would be nice, unfortunately you can't contract away liability.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 10/10/2011 3:25 PM, Swingman wrote:

Yeah but hey. LOL
I had a great response to you concerning the $350 extra for the Delta saw with the SawStop but the computer locked up when I hit send and I ain't going to type it all out again. ;~(
Anyway to recap, Yes I would pay $350 more for a saw over the SawStop if it was equally equipped and I wanted that particular brand over SawStop. I bought a Laguna to get what I wanted and it was considerably more than $350 more than the competition.
I would not pay the"same" price for the current Unisaw equiped exactly like the saw stop.
I would buy YOUR model Unisawnew at todays prices, not later models, with the SawStop technology and pay $400 extra with out a second thought.
I would buy a PM2000 with Sawstop technology over the SawStop for $3400 over the current $2999.
I don't like the way Gass is reportedly going after the market but I wont let that keep me from purchasing this particular technology should I decide to buy a safer saw.

If it wasn't properly maintained...

Perhaps you should have to sign such a statement when you buy a pool, a bathtub, or even a 5-gallon bucket? How about a car, bicycle, motorcycle. What about skateboards, skis, and airplane tickets? How about every time you ride in a car? How about a pizza, or *horrors* a BigMac!
There is *nothing* good about nannyism.
On 10/10/2011 3:42 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I think I will stop responding to yo now because regardless of what I have to say, white, you say black, yes, you say no, stop, you say go. You just want to argue, I simply want op state my point of view. And you may do the same however your point of view changes seems to change to be contrary.

Then don't! When people disagree on the axioms (in this case, the fundamentals of society) you can't expect them to agree on the results, even if the logic in between is faultless.

A damned lie. My POV has NOT changed. What SS is doing, WRT forcing their monopoly, is *evil*.
Leon wrote the following:

I'll sell you mine, if can find it. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 10/8/2011 11:31 AM, snipped-for-privacy@jecarter.us wrote: ...

_EXTREMELY_ unlikely US Supreme Court would even agree to hear such a case imo...

The ACLU should be all over Gass for attempting to take away the civil liberties of people and companies.
-- I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues. --Duke Ellington
On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 11:17:25 -0700, Larry Jaques

ACLU Companies? Shirley, you jest.
On 10/8/2011 11:31 AM, snipped-for-privacy@jecarter.us wrote:

I believe Mark swiped that thought from Shakespear...
"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers". (2 Henry VI, 4.2.59), Butcher to Jack Cade

Good catch!

On Oct 8, 12:31pm, snipped-for-privacy@jecarter.us wrote:

Hard for that to happen as the issue was not raised in the appeal. The Court cannot rule on aspects of the rial not raisd in the appeals themselves. (I think, not a lawyer spokesperson)
Hoosierpopi wrote:

Right. Appellate courts only rule on matters of law. The trial-court jury determines matters of fact.
On 10/8/2011 11:31 AM, snipped-for-privacy@jecarter.us wrote:

Just a minor aside. We bought one of the SawStop machines for another shop . It is underpowered when compared to the same horsepower Delta cabinet saw. By underpowered, I mean that you can easily push material too fast and force the motor to bog and slow - reminiscent of cutting on the typical contractor type saw. I have only used the thing 2 or 3 times and really don't care for the low power. I have suggested to that shop manager that he contact them about the power situation as it seriously compromises the saw's usability in my opinion, he has not seen fit to do so.
They are on stop block number 7 or 8. Yes, there is a switch to prevent this happening in wet wood, etc. Once a hidden nail, once a tin foil backing on some 1/4" MDF, once a fella using an aluminum piece as a push stick (he swears he didn't touch the blade). once cutting pressure treated material (too much moisture). This is right at $100 per block. Yes it does stop the blade and machine RIGHT NOW - it will scare the tar out of ya they tell me.
At this point I am happy with my old Delta.
On 10/10/2011 5:50 AM, DanG wrote:

No fair, Dude ... interjecting real experience into an argument based on hypothetical bickering.
For shame ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
--------- "DanG" wrote in message They are on stop block number 7 or 8. Yes, there is a switch to prevent this happening in wet wood, etc. Once a hidden nail, once a tin foil backing on some 1/4" MDF, once a fella using an aluminum piece as a push stick (he swears he didn't touch the blade). once cutting pressure treated material (too much moisture). This is right at $100 per block. Yes it does stop the blade and machine RIGHT NOW - it will scare the tar out of ya they tell me.
At this point I am happy with my old Delta.
Han wrote:

occasional users like me. I still have my hand saws.
--
Gerald Ross

What's a nice girl like you doing in a

They're dangerous, too. A common injury back in the day was "carpenter's thumb". That's where the saw jumped the kerf and bit into the back of the thumb and cut the tendon. That left the poor sod with a thumb that could be flexed but not straightened.
There simply will not be an overnight change in the entire saw market. If and when the new regs roll out it will mean that only new tools would be required to conform to the new and improved safety regulations. Used tools will still be available, though the prices of those will probably rise a bit as well. The regulations would have a date of compliance set at some point in the future, which will allow people to start hoarding existing saws, new and used.
Take a gamble - buy a dozen hobbiest tablesaws from Harbor Freight. Shouldn't cost more than a few hundred and the potential payback might be double that...if you live that long. ;)
RicodJour wrote:

Look for instructions on the web on how to defeat SawStop, thereby saving $100 or so on the false positives.
Defeating the required SawStop will be as common as removing the blade guard and might be as simple as clipping a couple of wires...

That should be just about as effective as clipping a couple of wires inside your computer to circumvent Windows registration. Sheesh.
BTW, who exactly is "defeating" the SawStop? A business? An individual?
Let's see how that works... "Oh, I'm soooo sorry for you accident, Mr. HeyRube, but we at Northwest South Federal Insurance and Bowling have investigated the situation and since you "defeated" the safety mechanism, you're shit out of luck. Would you be interested in adding your autos to your insurance policy?"