Sawstop's suit against Ryobi is upheld

High wages (especially managerial) and perks (paid healthcare, month of vacation, weeks of sick leave, etc.) skew the figures horribly, too, especially if unions are involved.
-- Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself. -- Thomas Jefferson
On 10/11/2011 8:18 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Well it is unfortunate but there are many in the US that are simply paid wildly beyond what they bring to the table. This particular recession is not too much unlike a stock market correction. I believe that with few exceptions that most of those over paid workers are finding out what they are really worth in a world economy. For those that have taken care of business, not tried to stay ahead of the Jones's and realistically lived within their means the current economic situation has been a great opportunity.
Leon wrote:

Er, not exactly. Last year, BMW built 110,000 cars in its Spartanburg, S.C. plant and EXPORTED them. Toyota builds cars in Tennessee and ships them to Japan!
Our manufacturing costs are not necessarily greater than foreign plants because we use so much more automation in some industries.
Like automobiles.
Shoes, not so much.
On 10/11/2011 11:29 AM, HeyBub wrote:

those are particular examples that the unions don't have a strangle hold on the manufacturer. But look at power tools and computer components, and electronics in general.

Consumer electronics, yes. Electronics in general, not as much.
On 10/9/2011 11:30 PM, Hoosierpopi wrote:

Cant agree with that statement. The SawStop is not low cost and it is being well supported by the public. The other manufacturers are reluctantly adding safety devices only as a result of the popularity and success of the SawStop. Other manufacturers have had at least 10 years to come up with their own safety devices since the introduction of the SawStop. I bet they were thinking that SawStop would fail and then it would be business as usual. Surprise!
We paid low prices for saws because most of the time a lower price saw from Taiwan was equal to or better than domestic. In a world market you have to be competitive, labor unions and over paid salaries are not your friends.

In my brief experience working retail sales of WW equipment, the "public" is not buying Sawstops.
Institutions are buying Sawstops, to reduce their liability exposure.
--
Woodworking and more at <http://www.woodenwabbits.com

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 09:45:28 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Because of our ridiculous tort system.

I'm in Canada, not the USA. Here it appears that reduced insurance costs are the deciding factor.
--
Woodworking and more at <http://www.woodenwabbits.com

On 10/10/2011 10:45 AM, Dave Balderstone wrote:

Just going by what my local Woodcraft store is indicating, SS sales by far out number Delta, Jet, and Powermatic.

Up here in the frozen north it appears that anyone teaching, especially kids, goes for the SS. Individuals do not.
--
Woodworking and more at <http://www.woodenwabbits.com

"frozen north"??
It was beach weather here for Thanksgiving. Ask some USanians how warm it is during their Thanksgiving.
------------ "Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
Up here in the frozen north it appears that anyone teaching, especially kids, goes for the SS. Individuals do not.
--
Woodworking and more at <http://www.woodenwabbits.com

Josepi wrote the following:

Here in NY, we are on our second day of 80+ F weather. Tomorrow is the last day with those temps. For the next 7 days after tomorrow, it will be in the 60s and 70s. Global warming, I love it. Tomorrow, I think I will just pull the cat converter off my truck, start it up and let it idle all day long. (just kidding. Gas is too expensive)
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 10/8/2011 3:02 PM, Leon wrote:

The manufacturer already provides guards and splitters that provide a margin of safety that, If used by the operator, would eliminate 99%+ of all injuries, and has no false triggers that cost hundreds of dollars in one-shot parts and blades each time they occur.
These are the saws that the consumer is buying.
Maybe each new saw sold by anybody should have a Sawstop Brochure and price list attached to it, so it will be plain that the purchaser knew they had an option and they chose otherwise.
Stuart
On 10/10/2011 6:56 AM, Stuart Wheaton wrote:

I think the guards suck, they simply prevent many procedures from being done on a TS with them installed. Kinda tough to cut a board to length that needs to be say 60" long with a guard attached, or cut dado's, cove moldings, 1/4" wide rips, etc.
BUT I think you are spot on with the notion that the manufacturer offers the SawStop option and there can no longer be any law suits against manufacturers in this regard.

Guards are easily sidestepped, too. Place your hand in the saw's path and it will slide right under the guard. And you're right about the splitters stopping dadoing, coves, rabbets, and the like. Preferred are the top-mounted guards with dust collection and rip guides in the zero-clearance inserts. Both are easily removed and installed so it takes just a minute extra to set up for your specialty cuts.

Hah! What an optimist. While it means they shouldn't continue, you'd better believe that the lawsuits will not stop. Slow, maybe, but stop? No way. There are far too many ambulance-chasing speaking weasels and stupid, greedy people out there.
-- Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself. -- Thomas Jefferson
On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 09:13:28 -0700, Larry Jaques

That's why I bought the splitter/plaws (the lefty version of this: http://www.deltamachinery.com/accessories/biesemeyer/item/78-431 ) for my Unisaur. It's trivial to attach, so it gets used.

Absolutely!
On 10/10/2011 11:13 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

But those overhead guards are sooooo expensive... ;~)

No let there be an opt out waver. You acknowledge and buy at your own risk. You buy the saw you loose the right to blame some one else.

Shouldn't be "blaming someone else" for your stupidity, anyway. If the tort argued about here had followed those rules, it wouldn't be.
On 10/10/2011 3:02 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Actually there are legitimate reasons to blame some one else. Suppose the guard breaks and the blade throws it at you and you are injured. Suppose the arbor breaks and the blade hits you. But being injured when there is nothing wrong is your own fault and to protect the manufacturer I think every purchaser should sign an agreement acknowledging the risks of using a saw with out a SawStop feature and he assumes full responsibility.