Sawstop delivered!

Page 6 of 7

Your are right Rich there are those that that will never change their minds.
If you are tired of seeing this thread or reading this thread, simply ignore it.

Most news readers can "kill" or "ignore" a thread.
That's what I do when I'm tired of reading a thread.
Barry
In typed:

Sawstop will not make anything idiot proof. It is simply another safety device, and well spent money, IMHO. The winners will be the people that step up to the plate and buy it.
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com
Rich wrote:

In typed:

Bye-bye now.
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

go kiss my sawstop bozo :)

HUH? The saw does not have to be turnrd on for the blade to be spinning. I was injured after turning the saw off and before the blade coasted down to a stop. In this instance the SawStop would have prevented my injury.

The point of what? Having a motion detector? If that is what you are talking about, the motion detector to detect the spinning blade would enable the system. If no "predetermined" minimum speed is detected by the motion detector the system would be disabled. This would prevent the system from tripping when changing blades or turning the blade by hand.
Now you would be creating a substantial

I suspect this is already built in for the purpose stated above and a motion decector or speed sensor would be inexpensive. Almost every automobile has a speed sensor at the crankshaft to determine timing. Same thing could be used here. A magnet and a sensor.
No safety

Exactly but the more safety you have built in, the less likely you or I or any one else will be injured. And don't even think that you are 100% not lazy or stupid when operating any equipment 100% of the time. You are probably human like every one else and are not capable of not making a mistake.

Your paying attention to what you were doing at the time probably would have as well and I bet you never made that same mistake again. I don't know what happened to you but if you were already in a position to stop the saw, it seems likely that you could have avoided it.

That is far more difficult than you give it credit for. Where exactly do you intend to mount this detector and what is going to power it after you shut the power to the was off. At best, I would put a 5 to 10 second delay in it's shutdown to give the blade time to stop which would serve your purpose and cost much less.

Where exactly do you intend to mount either the magnet or the sensor? And even then, they will still do nothing without the monitering and logic circuits the use them.

I disagree with this. I have come to find that when something has too much safety equipment on it, the users lose respect for it and simply begin to use it more dangerously. I did notice that in a past thread someone sade the claim that statistics show less injuries on a RAS than on table saws and I would bet that that spinning blade above the table makes the user VERY aware of what they are working with.

I never made that claim and have been injured, sometimes do to being stupid but I seldom make the same mistake twice.

Actually I make the same miustke again about 9 months later and realized that this is how I must have been injured. Fortunately or not, I did not have as much thumb hanging down as it is half gone now and did not repeat the trip to the ER. Believe me when you are injured like this you may or may not remember what happened exactly. For days I thought it was kick back only to realize no wood was damaged. This makes it hard to prevent a freak accident.

Not really.
Where exactly do you intend to mount this detector and what is going to power it after you

The dectctor can be mounted to the trunion and monitor the arbor pully or shaft. The crank shaft saensor on many car engines is simply a closely mounted sensor, "about the size of a small cigarette lighter", counting the times a magnetic spot on the harmonic balancer passed by it in a given amount of time. The saw always has power, just not always going to the motor. The sensor could be energised from the live side of the on off switch.
From what I understand the SawStop has these capabilities and I was simply explaining one of the possible way that this can be accomplished. I am not saying that this is in fact how it was accomplished but simply how it could be done.

Again, the magnet could be a 1/4" long pencil lead sized object imbedded in a small drilled hole on the end of the arbor. The sensor coud be mounted close to the end of the arbor. As far as the logic and circuits, that stuff is cheap and mass produced. Many battery operated drills have this circuitery to maintain speed when a load is applied to the drill.
On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 18:37:03 GMT, "Leon"

Amazing that you could do this, eh ? :-)
It's ironic that someone who makes a mental mistake like this insists that others shouldn't make any. A bit like that junkie talk show guy ...
TBone signs:

No, but you get one helluva chance to make a great impression on a wheat field.
Charlie Self "Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell

LOL!

The blade may still be moving with the power off. Keep your eye on the blade next time you hit the switch. From what I've read, lots of people get injured by saw blades running unpowered.
wrote in message news:hoCyd.10287

True, but if you shut the saw down, then you really need to continue to pay attention until it stops because if you shut it off, you are obviously done with your cut.

True. But, hind site is 20/20 and there are countless ways of having a an accident and you simply cannot anticipate every scenario that is possible.

Sure, but reaching for the cutoff has taken many a bite of skin with it. Of course no matter how much something is idiot proofed, the work will create a bigger and better idiot.
wrote in message

LOL.. Good call Edwin. Seems the SawStop has already shown that this is true. People are already trying to figure out a way to prove it ineffective.

moving the device is active. Once the blade stops, the device is off.
--RC
TBone wrote:

The questions are (a) does it trip and cost you 50 bucks and a new blade if you touch the blade while the blade is not turning and (b) does it fail to trip and let you get cut if the power is turned off but the blade has not stopped spinning.

While it is inconcievable to me that anyone would try to market such a thing without making provisions for the two conditions mentioned above, I have see manufactureres do enough really stupid things to agree that these are legitimate questions.
I distinctly recall a post in which someone did describe what happens in those situations based on his personal experience either with a delivered saw or a prototype, but now I can't find the post. Something about there being a green light that is on whenever it is armed, which included a certain period of time after power-off, and when the light goes out then you can touch the blade without triggering. Trouble is I may very well have dreamed it.
--
--John

From the response directly from SawStop, A. Speculation here, (a) it will not trip when the blade is not turning. It would be tough to change blades with out tripping it. (b) if it did trip it is likely that neither the blade or cartridge would be damaged. IMHO damage would be the result of stopping a blade spinning at 3600 rpm in 1/8 th of a revolution.
B. No Speculation, the device will trip or trigger if the blade is spinning even after the saw was turned off.