Lubricating Delta DP 350 Drill Press

I am thinking about buying Delta DP 350 Drill Press. Here is my concern: according to the manual, the Delta variable transmission requires weekly lubrication. Is it mandatory when you don't use it too often.

What would happen if machine sits idle for 6 month with no weekly oiling?

Thanks

Reply to
Alex

The neighbours will ask if you want to sell it, but other than that I wouldn't worry about it. It means under continuous use IMO, not idle time.

Greg

Reply to
Groggy

I'd think twice before buying one of those. The industrial variable speed setup didn't translate well into a bottom-rung drill press, and it doesn't give you a wider speed range than the normal belt drive. Unless you really need an infinite range, skip it.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

no problem. lube it before you use it next.

for long term storage, like years, open it up and apply heavy grease to the shiny metal parts.

Reply to
bridger

Excellent DP. I have had it for 1-year and no problems. I also use it with the mortise attachment for mortises.

"The industrial variable speed setup didn't translate well into a bottom-rung drill press"

What??

"and it doesn't give you a wider speed range than the normal belt drive."

DP350 ranges from 500 to 3100 rpm. When would you have an application that would require a speed outside of this range?

Reply to
stoutman

Putting a complicated system like that on a machine that needs to be low priced was a stretch. You might love yours, but I've heard of nothing but trouble with these things. Maybe they've improved it.

For a production shop that actually needs a variable speed drill press, they work out really well on the $800 models that are a good, time-tested design.

500 RPM is a very high low speed. Usually folks outgrow that pretty soon. That's why there's a big interest in jackshaft modifications for older DPs without a low speed range. Too high for a lot of metal work and some larger wood bits or hole saws. Good drill presses go down to somewhere in the 100-200 range. If you're going to spend $200 on a drill press, I'd rather have a bigger machine with a usable speed range instead of a benchtop with a variable speed system.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

Alex, I have the Delta 17-968 variable speed DP for a few years. I love it. The varaible speed allows you to use diffrent bits at the correct speed simple. The DP350 should serve you well.

Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa