unisaw arborbearings

one or both bearings of my unisaw arbor gave up the ghost . I ordered new bearings ,spacers ,preload spring etc total was $130+.they wanted $45 for a set of 3 drive belts, I got them locally for $15 , what a Delta ridoff.....mjh

Reply to
mike hide

You could have saved a couple of bucks on the bearings too! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Reply to
Pat Barber

Typical of any replacement part, be it a small appliance or heavy industrial equipment. Recently needed a $5 seal for a valve. The machine supplier that the valve was on could not sell me a rebuild kit, only a $600 valve. You have to find local sources for stuff like that. I can give you hundreds of examples.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

My comment is to get a "matched" set of belts. These are cut off the roll next to each other so they are the same size. Most knowledgeable places that sell belts can set you up. That way all of them pull the same.

Reply to
ToolMiser

I know matched belts are important if they are running on the same arbor/pulley, but does it matter if they are in series? Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

What could they then be matching????

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

The truth of the matter is even with a matched set of belt there are typically two belt doing the brunt of the work while the other (third) is running a wee bit slack.

I have spoken with Unisaw owners who have run just two belts at a time and they don't notice any change.

Still, I prefer to run with the three (matched set) but that's just me.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Eventually, all three belts will be working. The belts doing the most work will soon stretch until they are all working together. It doesn't take very long. max

Reply to
max

Well, max already answered this...

Unless they really load the saw, it's unlikely they would notice any real difference w/ just one...the multiple belts are there for the times when one really needs the extra power transmitting capability and very little of the time is a saw used for such cuts...but when it is, it's vital.

I'd never think of cutting back on such a trivial cost item on my PM Model 66...a set of quality belts will last almost indefinitely if they're not mistreated in a average shop. Even in a commercial shop they'll last (TM).

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Might I recommend something along the lines of the Gates PowerBand?

benefits include very closely matched belts, even load distribution, somewhat quieter operation. I think you'll also see longer belt life ... based on experience and the fact that the load is evenly distributed ... one belt can't carry the majority of the load and fail prematurely.

The downside is you can't be a cheap tightwad and only replace the one belt that broke, knowing full well you will replace another belt in the near future ... but that's not a technical issue as much as it is a lifestyle issue.

Hint ... if you hear belts screaming when you turn the machine on, you MIGHT need to consider some sort of soft-start or VFD control. Belt life gets extended well into the "replace it because it's starting to dry-rot" stage.

HTH

Rick

Reply to
Rick