Opinions on this first drill press

I might go check out this DP, give it to my nephew, if I buy. https://lafayette.craigslist.org/tls/d/porter-cable-drill-press/6634388357 . html
Here's another, for your entertainment. I emailed this guy telling him he' s asking way too much, not that I was interested in it. He was asking $650 for it. His original posting had listed all sorts of amenities, several wrong ones. I pointed out several things wrong with it and his posted writ e-up. He dropped his price to $450.... still way too much. I emailed De lta the serial number, asking the year made, no reply. Later, I called Del ta and they told me the DP was made in 1942. 3 days later, Delta replies to the email and says it was made in '72. Go figure! Anyway, as a quiz, what can you sight as being wrong with it? https://lafayette.craigslist.org/tls/d/delta-rockwell-14-high-speed/6621890 648.html
Sonny

IMO even though it's missing 2 handles and the switch is held on with scotch tape, $50 is not a bad price.

Missing table? <
https://d278yjzsv5tla9.cloudfront.net/archive_images/1130/69042/69042_5837854.JPG

Tiny 1/4" chuck?
On 7/5/2018 8:30 AM, Spalted Walt wrote: ...

Also missing the table...as the owner there points out, the -300 was apparently a very specialized-purpose machine...he opines might have been intended for manual circuit board-making or the like--at that time that might have been a possible market; perhaps Rockwell made the prototypes for themselves in those days and thought there might be a niche market???

"Sonny" wrote in message
[...]
*************
If it works and doesn't clatter or have too horrible much runout (it will have some) and it works I'd buy it in a second for only $50. It’s just a branded import, but I do like the external quill stop better than the collar ones. The machine light is a nice ouch as well. I might question why its wrapped in saran wrap, but it might have just been to keep coolant, oil, and chips out of the switches. I've seen that done before. Only having one handle tells me it was used by somebody who had a favor for that free swing. Several of my machines only have one handle, and I am seriously thinking about pitching the cast handle on my similar drill press in favor of making my own collar with a single handle.
Even the used Harbor Freight drills in that size class tend to sell for a lot more than $50 LOL. If you check it out, and its ok. Even if you don't like it later you can certainly sell it. Of course it does need to check out as "ok" first.
If the bearings are bad I'd pass though. Its still just a branded import.
On Wednesday, July 4, 2018 at 9:05:58 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:

7.html

e's asking way too much, not that I was interested in it. He was asking $6 50 for it. His original posting had listed all sorts of amenities, severa l wrong ones. I pointed out several things wrong with it and his posted wr ite-up. He dropped his price to $450.... still way too much. I emailed Delta the serial number, asking the year made, no reply. Later, I called D elta and they told me the DP was made in 1942. 3 days later, Delta replie s to the email and says it was made in '72. Go figure! Anyway, as a quiz , what can you sight as being wrong with it?

90648.html

Sonny, its got a 4" quill travel and the motor works, get it. The table wo uld be a good woodworking project for him. Stumpy Nubs has a very nice, lo w profile, table and your local steel yard/machine shop has a piece of pipe you can use to mount it.
http://www.stumpynubs.com/compact-drill-press-table.html
I did something similar on a very large Grizzly.
On Jul 4, 2018, Sonny wrote

It’s intended for drilling very small holes in fiberglass circuit board.
It will be way too fast for ordinary woodworking, and the drills will burn in the wood. There are better choices for this.
For a drill press that old, I’d worry that the runout had become too large to be able to drill such small holes without breaking the drill bit (usually carbide). At that speed, if the journal bearings are not kept clean and well oiled, the bearings have likely worn out.
Joe Gwinn
On Thursday, July 5, 2018 at 6:45:43 PM UTC-4, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

board.

n in

Metal drilling with flood cooling would be a good use, too. You're probably right about the intended use.

too large ...
Yeah, but bearings are cheap. It won't have a bent spindle, not if it's only used on small drills. Worn three-jaw chuck would be my primary concern.
I picked up a craftsman at a garage sale . Dated it to about 1939 all cast iron base and table . It did have some rust but a little time with a buffin g wheel , some new paint it looks like new. FYI - NO run out and a 1/2 in chuck. the best part he dropped his price from $50 to $35.
On Monday, July 9, 2018 at 11:44:57 PM UTC-5, Mark H wrote:

t iron base and table . It did have some rust but a little time with a buff ing wheel , some new paint it looks like new. FYI - NO run out and a 1/2 i n chuck. the best part he dropped his price from $50 to $35.

https://lafayette.craigslist.org/tls/d/porter-cable-drill-press/6634388357 . html
I went by the next morning, to check out this DP, but it was already gone. It was probably a good buy.
Similiarly, Oct 2014, Lamberts Prosthetics & Orthotics closed their office/ shop, here, and I bought their floor model Craftsman DP, in very good shape , for $50. I had, also, bought their 20" Davis & Wells bandsaw and a flam mables cabinet. https://groups.google.com/forum /#!msg/rec.woodworking/o1J1 wVxbVd4/U111_PxdOPkJ;context-place=forum/rec.woodworking
Sonny