ensuring router bit is parelle on table

x-no-archive:yes

I have a new router table (ryobi). I had to mount the router directly to the table. (The mounting adaptors with the table would not fit. The router is ryobi also. How can I ensure the bit is straigth and parallel to the table?

Reply to
stryped

Get a piece of 1/4" or 1/2" outside diameter pipe or bar stock and chuck it into the collet. That should give you something you can put a square against.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

ummm. Brian, he wants the bit *parallel* to the table. What you suggested will give him perpendicular to the table. Do you have any suggestions to make the bit parallel? ;) --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

Hinged mount so it is easily adjusted.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Drill a hole the diameter of the shank in the top of a 2-inch cube of wood. Put the bit in the hole and set the cube on its side. Check the bottom of the cube with a machinist's square.

Alternatively, build a jig in which to rest the router horizontally and put the bit in the router. Use a framing square to verify the router's subbase is perpendicular to the table.

Reply to
Chuck Taylor

Make a test cut with a straight bit and check the results.

Are you sure you want the bit to be parallel to the table and not perpendicular?

Reply to
Leon

I assumed he meant the question I answered. :-) Although, as my parents used to say, "any assumption is a bad assumption." Having said that:

maybe I should steer him toward a multirouter.

In any event, the OP said he was using regular accursed ryobi abominations, so all bets are off. Asking how to determine whether any ryobi tool is straight, square, or otherwise accurate is like asking which boomerang can be best used as a straight-edge. Perhaps the entire thread is moot.

Lest ye think I judge without speaking from experience, I actually still have a ryobi fixed base boat anchor with a 1/4" collet. It was an ill-advised purchase made in a fit of neophyte's blind tool-lust on the same day I bought my delta benchtop table saw and benchtop jointer. And while those two tools were quickly banished from the shop, the boat anchor still collects dust in the corner, dust it did not it self create.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning