Opinions

From this ad, what's your opinion of this guy and his woodwork?

I'm thinking he's a young guy and maybe his woodwork could use a bit of assistance. Look at the second pic... his edges don't seem clean and mating flush.

The reason I ask: I was gifted this Delta 6" jointer with no motor. I may have a motor that would suffice. Surface rust looks bad, but should clean up easily. Bearings spin just fine.

I'm contemplating contacting him, ask him of himself and projects, etc., to see if he might want this jointer, for free, if he doesn't already have one.... and maybe give him some of my scrap wood.

From the ad, what's your opinion of him?

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

No, a jointer would probably not help, at least with the projects pictured on your link. Not seeing anything else he is probably a hobbyist. However this is a country/folksey style that looks fine for what he is building. A jointer would likely make the projects look "too finished" and many would be turned off. You know, many people like the distressed look. This stuff will likely end up outside and more precise assembly will go by the wayside when it gets wet.

As for as all of this goes it looks like he is building all of this out of cedar pickets.

Reply to
Leon

Yeah, looks he dropped out of shop class, right after birdhouse week. But, they're birdhouses, not furniture.

Who knows, he may also make windsor chairs that would blow us away.

To me, he looks like a craft fair guy. He's found something he can crank out with his eyes closed and make some decent money at. He probably sells out at flea markets and shows every weekend. That basic model for $15? He can probably crank out a dozen of those in an hour. The condo model, probably selling that for $60 and he could make 4-5 in an hour.

A former neighbor of mine made his entire living from making/selling wire bent trees. That's what he did all week and on the weekends he traveled to huge craft fairs all over the east, south, and midwest. He made a decent living. His trees cost a LOT more than those birdhouses, but they were real works of art and people ate them up.

The guy had forearms the size of Popeye's from bending that wire everyday for 30 years.

Reply to
-MIKE-

" This posting has been deleted by its author. "

... he sold out quickly and is making more ?

My last small batch of bluebird houses were made of old barnboard - I thought the very-weathered look gave them some charm. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Well hells bells!! I called him, sounded like he was anxious to get the jointer, search for a motor and get some scraps. He was to send me his email address, to send him pics. No reply, there. I suppose he doesn't want it, after all.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Ad gone but your jointer looks like a perfect candidate for a bottle of Naval Jelly rust remover, assuming they still make it. Works a treat with little time and effort.

Reply to
Jack