Plywood trade

One way to get some plywood

Ed Pawlowski

Ed Pawlowski snipped-for-privacy@snet.xxx wrote in news:g0olI.161063$ snipped-for-privacy@fx38.iad:

A car salesman I play hockey with just posted his dealership got in a bunch of new Corvettes. Guess they want to do some renovations!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I'm rich! I have a dozen sheets of 1/2" and about the same 3/4", different grades and a couple of oak and birch.

Reply to
krw

You have inventory. Maybe you'll be rich after you sell it.

Let us know.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yesterday, I detoured 1/2 mile to get a plate lunch at a local store. Saw an on going reroofing job with lots of ply in the dumpster. Stopped by, asked to dumpster dive and picked up 1/4 truck load of 1/2" ply "scrap", more than enough to build a work bench and upper cabinets for my nephew's shop.... about half hour's work.

Update: Got the main and "screen" doors installed on nephew's pool house. "Screen" door with no screen, but acrylic glass.... nephew's wife wanted to see her new main door. Threshold and its foundation needed work, as well, and got that done prior to door install. Large window still needs a little trim (paint) work. Scroll right for 2 more pics.

Today, I pulled out lots of lumber to start the work bench/cabinets build. Yeah, as K, in the past, when I'd go to to Lowes, HD, etc., I'd always pick up sheets of ply for future use..... and dumpster dive when I saw good pickings.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Oddly, I have really only seen a modest price increase in "some" plywoods. MDO is still the same as it was 2 years ago and it is a premium grade resin veneer ply. 1/2 5x5 Baltic Birch, still the same, paint grade 1/4" birch and maple still the same.

Reply to
Leon

It's construction material that has gone up/gotten scarce mostly...

Just looking at the "local" (nearest is 65 mi away) HD, they have limited supplies in stock (typically <50 sheets, a couple products with as much as 100) and are purchase limits on orders. 3/4" sheathing is $65/sheet, +/-.

The whole supply chain of virtually everything is all afoul -- last night they were showing the picture of all the container ships offshore on west coast 'cuz aren't enough dockworkers working to begin to keep up...didn't say if that was still because the State of CA has restrictions still in place or that the unemployment checks are so big it doesn't pay to work or combination or what...but they've got everything royally mucked and it won't get better until get the states and the feds out of it all.

--

Reply to
dpb

Which likely won't happen until the courts start telling governors and the President that they cannot pass laws. Of course such efforts will be resisted vigorously on the basis that those supporting them are supporting "freedumb".

Reply to
J. Clarke

Like I noted earlier - baltic ply is now cheaper than sheathing grade spruce or poplar - less demand for the Baltic so no shortage.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Closer to $100 here.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

At least 20% of that would be exchange rate...interestingly enough, it appears HD has nationwide pricing almost if not identically the same. I just looked at a couple LA County stores figuring they would be much higher -- but not.

Reply to
dpb

Looks good. Are the grills real or just for looks?

Reply to
krw

Birch has gone up a lot. I don't see any of the other stuff in the BORG. MDF has gone through the roof, too. I used a few sheets on a wall in the basement where sheetrock could easily be damaged.

Reply to
krw

Yes, prices have gone up but in the southern half of Texas but there is no shortage of building materials, construction grade lumber.

Agreed, the lazy need to go back to work and the government needs to quit paying them to do nothing.

Reply to
Leon

I'm not saying lumber prices are outrageous but I just ordered a pastrami sandwich for $12.95, if I want toothpicks it?s $16.95 !

;)

Reply to
Spalted Walt

There is never a shortage of anything as long as there is an offsetting abundance of money.

Government workers too?

Reply to
krw

On 5/10/2021 8:45 PM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote: Snip

A great many of them. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

K, I missed this post back in May.

The grills are real. All those moldings were a tedious job to finish.

Latest project - I'm gonna one up Leon, here..... I made 2 sheets of 1/2" ply from dumpster diving finds.
Update: I mentioned before, nephew bought a farm last year. He's doing extensive remodeling of the house. We did some work on the pool house. The farm had a 30X50 metal shop that was empty.... nephew had/has lots of stuff on the floor. I built him two 12' work benches and gave him a work table with wood vise. This dumpster dive plywood will be used to make backing for upper cabinets for one of the work benches. Gave him peg boards and lots of hangers, so his shop is getting there, slowly but surely. About 2 months ago, I bought a 3 phase Unisaw, from a school auction, for $175. Came with Unifence, side table, outfeed roller rack and a couple of miter gauges. I ordered a new motor and will replace the side table with a Formica topped one. Nephew will get this saw, also.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I guess so! The fit is perfect, too.

One's got paint on it though.

Can the shop be heated? AC? In my last house I was relegated to the garage and attic. For 12-14 weeks in the summer I had to find something else to do. ...not to mention rust.

I made sure this time I have a basement. It gets a little warm for a few weeks but a little 8K BTU window AC cools it and provides the dehumidifier for that period. I have a dehumidifier for May through September. Our electricity is cheap so the cost is minimal.

Reply to
krw

There is a classified ad posted in the paper, 10 sheets of new 4X8 plywood, $299 takes all. Depending on thickness, I suppose that's a kicking deal now, and I'd go pick it up if I needed some!

Reply to
Michael Trew