A Screw With No (visible) Slot (2023 Update)

This guy is looking for funding - sort of. Actually, what he is looking for is to find out if any of us woodworkers would actually use his invention before he even tries to raise funds to go into production.

Feel free to discuss your thoughts here, but also maybe help the guy out and give him your opinion directly. He seems like a decent enough guy.

DerbyDad03

What came to mind to me was a simple version - perhaps it already exists - a standard hex in the recessed area and a 1-time "cap" that is forced fit so it's flush. Destroy the cap for removal - it's the cheap part. I'm imagining it fitting as perfect as the back of a watch. ... and could even have a gasket for water resistance .. .. no special tools. John T.

Reply to
hubops

It's not the "flush" that makes it special, it's the machining so that there is no visible seam between the body of the screw and "cap".

This type of junction:

DerbyDad03

... even after ketchup spills are rubbed in ? :-) John T.

Reply to
hubops

Now that's a comment worth posting on his youtube page. He may be able to address that issue.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Very slick. He mentioned a hidden drawer as an application. Why not a latch with this feature, rather than a screw? Perhaps a dummy for balance. I'd buy it in (very) low quantities.

Reply to
krw

John T.

Reply to
hubops

I'll have to remember that. Thanks.

Reply to
krw

Well, I think part of his marketing strategy, in the video, has a few problems. He touts the screw to have a single function, for attaching something together in a hidden fashion. That's appealing to some extent. He later asks, would you design a piece of furniture around this screw/function? Nope, not at all.

It may be a clever or neat idea, but to me it's a novelty, of sorts. I can't envision its wide spread use. I can't see an industry going all out to produce large quantities of it, at least for the general "construction" public. The aerospace or similar industry may use it or some element of the idea, i.e., a specific and limited use/market, but I think that may already be the case to some extent. A large scale market for this application would likely have to be something similar to the 1950s-1960s chrome furniture/appliances "fad". It's too specific/eccentric of a feature requiring a specific tool for the general "construction" public's use.

As to woodworking, I can't see it being widely used in the furniture making industry. Some individuals may try it, but I suspect just randomly used.... initially moderate sales, then interest fades? I wouldn't invest in something I wouldn't use and for my style of woodwork, I wouldn't want any hardware to show. It's not a feature that appeals to me for my consideration to use in/on my projects nor to be important as a part or design feature on something I would purchase. Even if I were interested in the idea, I doubt I would design a project around the screw or its application, besides, that likely would narrow the number of (different?) projects it can be applied to.

As to furniture as a whole, I think a "new" particular style of furniture may need to be created, similarly as chrome furniture/appliances was introduced, for it to be widely used, IF one is to design furniture around this single screw concept.

It's a good first marketing step in asking our opinions. He needs to gather the feedback, then go ask the professionals (Shark Tank- like) before diving into it further.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Ketchup is mildly acidic. I wonder if it would attack the seam (edges).

I saw the video a couple days ago, and I had at most a passing, "that's neat" impression. I didn't think about it again until I saw your post today.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

That is a real cool idea but not for the aplications he demonstrates.

It would be much less expensive to us a normal sized bolt in a recessed hole and covered by a disposable/replaceable press in bezel/cover.

His bolts would also need a special nut.

Reply to
Leon

It seems a bit too fussy to live in the rough and tumble of real life.

The fit between screw head body and spring-loaded filler is very close. I wonder how well that screw will work after the furniture piece is varnished or even waxed.

And, the screw better be made of stainless steel.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

When I was at Hamilton-Standard that thing would have been great on the C-130 Afterbody. Especially if it could have been made in the form of a captivated screw.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Why? It could be standard 1/4-20 'T' nut, or whatever.

Remove the bolt before finishing the piece. It's a good idea anyway. Don't you remove drawers/doors from furniture before finishing?

Just for the looks, though people use brass knobs too.

Reply to
krw

It's not intended for general construction. It's too "pretty"

Widely? Perhaps not but there is a lot of specialized hardware around. If it were widely used it wouldn't be very effective.

Modern furniture often has button accents similar to this, even knurled brass knobs.

I hope he already has the patents lined up for it.

Reply to
krw

Explanation?

Reply to
krw

In that case probably so but the one he was demonstrating looked to have threads in the 1" diameter range.

Reply to
Leon

1" is in the set of "whatevers". That was a prototype. The threads could be pretty much anything.
Reply to
krw