creating a new slot in a stripped screw using a dremel tool

Hi everyone. I remember reading in a post here about using an attachment for the dremmel tool to basically make a new slot in a stripped screw so one could use a screw driver. Would I use engraving tool, or a cutting bit for the dremmel, or something else? I tried extractors, but no dice getting out the screw. Thanks for any info.

Reply to
Eric and Megan Swope

I have taken screws out before by drilling them out or drilling slightly into the head and tapping a screwdriver into it with a hammer then turning the screwdriver.

Reply to
badgolferman

I use the cuttoff wheel and grind a slot. Fast and easy.

Reply to
Robert Allison

"Eric and Megan Swope" wrote in news:K7koe.854$nk4.106@trndny01:

You use the abrasive cut-off discs,those thin round reddish wafers with a tiny hole in the middle,about one inch in diameter.There are also larger,fiberglas reinforced discs available,but they don't cut screwdriver slots as well. Use them on the provided mandrel.

Use eye protection,they are brittle,and pieces fly all over the place when they break,and your eyes are precious.

Use them like a rotary sawblade.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

If you have room you can cut a slot using a hacksaw blade

Reply to
barbarow

I have used the cut off tool. Normally I just use a drill and an easy-out.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I use a left-handed bit in a variable speed drill, and while drilling it will catch and back the screw out. I've mostly done this with philips-head screws.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob