Black Walnut

I've heard that black walnut lumber is valuable.

I've got a healthy, mature (between 20-40 years) black walnut tree in my back yard.

Are there companies that come to harvest these trees, and pay you for the lumber, or does the cost of cutting it down erase any profit?

Thanks

Reply to
Matt

Usualy they wont take them fearing nails

Reply to
m Ransley

We had some on the farm when I was a kid. I know dad got a check for them. I had to show them how to get the trucks in and keep the cows at bay while they came down.

Best is to contact some one local. At 40 years young they may not be interested. Ours were well over a 100 years when they were cut.

Reply to
SQLit

Maybe, maybe not. There are a few factors. Many saw mills will not touch "yard trees" because they often have hidden nails, hammock supports and other assorted metal that will damage the cutting blades. The size of the tree and location come into play is it may be difficult to drop safely.

Go to the web site for Woodmizer and you may find an interested person through their referral program.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Black/white walnut is valued. it will have to be over 24" in diam to make it worth while. Age is not an issue, mass and straightness is. I netted $22K for 5 veneer grade trees. the roots were carefully removed and i found out later that they are value for gunstock material. Not much in way of firewood was left, all got taken away.

-- Troweller^nospam^@canada.com

Reply to
ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy

First of all, a 40 yo black walmut is not very big. Second, forget the nails.... in the truly big (and old) trees, the fear is horseshoes. I have had to place substantial deposits at the local lumbermill, in case they hit a horseshoe... the cost was $40/tooth on a huge bandsaw.

Reply to
no1herenow

You want to sell a "stick".

Or, you can have a portable mill come to your place and turn it into rough sawn lumber for you.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

not sure about today, but black walnut used to be expensive wood.

Check with specialty furniture makers and wood suppliers that either would want the wood or can give references to others that may deal with raw wood better.

If good size trees then should be able to have someone harvest and still pay you for them.

Reply to
MC

woodworkers. Forest grown trees are valuable because they are bigger, have no low branches, and have no embedded metal from old fences. Trees in a yard are usually a different story. Measure the tree's circumference 4 1/2 feet from the ground and the height of the lowest branch or scar and decide whether it might have ever been in a fence line.

Reply to
Dave