Delta Shopmaster TS200LS miter slot

So, I've got this Delta TS200LS table saw, and it has a non-standard miter T-slot. It's just a skooch narrower in both width and height, but no standard accessories will work.

Anyone know where I can get T-bar to fit this bastard, so I can make my own accessories? I just need something that will slide in the slot and not pop out.

I already googled and couldn't find anything. I emailed Delta customer support and haven't heard back. Also, I couldn't find any accessories for this model on Delta's web site, so I don't think they're using a non-standard track to force you to buy their stuff. I'm considering buying a replacement miter gage, and cutting up the bar to use for jigs.

Sheesh! I knew that this was an inexpensive unit, but does custom T-channel really cost less than the standard stuff?

Thanks,

--- Chip

Reply to
Chip Buchholtz

Chip Buchholtz wrote: > So, I've got this Delta TS200LS table saw, and it has a non-standard > miter T-slot. It's just a skooch narrower in both width and height, > but no standard accessories will work. >

Why not make your own runners?

Easy, if you have a planer.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Lew Hodgett wrote: : > Anyone know where I can get T-bar to fit this bastard, so I can make : > my own accessories? I just need something that will slide in the slot : > and not pop out.

: Why not make your own runners?

: Easy, if you have a planer.

Don't have a planer. Also, for hold-downs and some other things I'd prefer something that won't pop vertically out of the slot. I've got some leftover 1/4 x 1 that I could probably hand plane down to the right thickness, and I suppose I could make T-shaped runners to fit the T-slot by routing little rabbets on the sides.

More trouble than I wanted, but it probably builds character.

Here's a crazy idea: Can I use a PC 690 router on aluminum? Maybe I can cut the slots to a standard size. I'm guessing woodworking bits wouldn't work so well on aluminum, though.

--- Chip

Reply to
Chip Buchholtz

| Here's a crazy idea: Can I use a PC 690 router on aluminum? Maybe I | can cut the slots to a standard size. I'm guessing woodworking bits | wouldn't work so well on aluminum, though.

A less crazy idea: take careful measurements and take them to a local machinist and pay him to make the guides out of steel. I think you'd be dollars ahead.

I've routed aluminum (using an end mill at much lower RPM than the 690 can deliver and at a very carefully controlled feed rate) with some success on a ShopBot, but wouldn't even try it with a hand-held router.

With the router under computer control, I still needed one hand for coolant (WD-40 aerosol can) and one hand for the compressed air nozzle (to clear the chips). I broke three carbide end mills in the process of getting the spindle and feed speeds right. You /might/ do better but, then again, you might not...

Morris Dovey

Morris Dovey wrote: : A less crazy idea: take careful measurements and take them to a local : machinist and pay him to make the guides out of steel. I think you'd : be dollars ahead.

That's a good idea, especially since I happen to have access to a machine shop complete with machinist.

Thanks aeveryone for the ideas,

--- Chip

Reply to
Chip Buchholtz

Is it new? Take it back. I'd bet a ton that it is not non-standard, but only defective, that is the chinese factory missed the dimension. Used a worn out slot cutter. It is not unusual for them to "fix" a problem by making a batch of undersized miter gage bars to include with the bad saws.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

: >Sheesh! I knew that this was an inexpensive unit, but does custom : >T-channel really cost less than the standard stuff?

: Is it new? Take it back. I'd bet a ton that it is not non-standard, : but only defective, that is the chinese factory missed the dimension. : Used a worn out slot cutter. It is not unusual for them to "fix" a : problem by making a batch of undersized miter gage bars to include : with the bad saws.

Unfortunately, not new. I finally got around to making a featherboard and, Surprise!, none of the hardware works.

I've got a scrap of oak stair tread, and my current plan is to make my own bar stock using a router table and table saw. If that doesn't work, I may look into getting a machinist to make some.

Thanks everyone for your ideas,

--- Chip

Reply to
Chip Buchholtz