Building a kiln

No luck finding a local kiln so I have decided to build a dehumidifier kiln that will reside in my basement shop. In essence, it will be a 2x2x8 box o f 1/2 inch osb board with a fan on one end and the dehumidifier on the othe r. Question about heat source: will a small ceramic heater be sufficient? I also will get a thermostat device to control the temperature. What temp should I shoot for during initial drying (want to kill any remaining critt ers). I want to avoid checking and will seal the ends.

As always, your good counsel is appreciated!

Reply to
Gramps' shop

I've seen a pretty good explaination on the US FPL site, altho I don't seem to have a bookmarked link; or, iirc, Hoadley's book has a section as well...

Reply to
dpb

ln that will reside in my basement shop. In essence, it will be a 2x2x8 box of 1/2 inch osb board with a fan on one end and the dehumidifier on the ot her. Question about heat source: will a small ceramic heater be sufficient ? I also will get a thermostat device to control the temperature. What te mp should I shoot for during initial drying (want to kill any remaining cri tters). I want to avoid checking and will seal the ends.

This might help...

Interesting points on "casehardening" if the kiln is run for too long of a straight stretch. That topic is also covered here, with diagrams:

DerbyDad03

Drying Wood with Dehumidifier Wood Kiln

Spalted Walt

Wow! Kilns don't usually live indoors, unless you are doing small boards?

This book (available in .pdf online)

discusses kiln drying, chapter 13 should be informative. Looks like you'd need to tend/readjust the gizmo twice a day for a week.

The final step (highest temperature) kills off bugs and such... 180 Fahrenheit.

If you start with air-drying the kiln finishing might be quicker.

Reply to
whit3rd