Building a kiln

No luck finding a local kiln so I have decided to build a dehumidifier kiln that will reside in my basement shop. In essence, it will be a 2x2x8 box o f 1/2 inch osb board with a fan on one end and the dehumidifier on the othe r. Question about heat source: will a small ceramic heater be sufficient? I also will get a thermostat device to control the temperature. What temp should I shoot for during initial drying (want to kill any remaining critt ers). I want to avoid checking and will seal the ends.
As always, your good counsel is appreciated!
On 5/12/2019 5:51 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:

I've seen a pretty good explaination on the US FPL site, altho I don't seem to have a bookmarked link; or, iirc, Hoadley's book has a section as well...

On Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 6:51:53 PM UTC-4, Gramps' shop wrote:

ln that will reside in my basement shop. In essence, it will be a 2x2x8 box of 1/2 inch osb board with a fan on one end and the dehumidifier on the ot her. Question about heat source: will a small ceramic heater be sufficient ? I also will get a thermostat device to control the temperature. What te mp should I shoot for during initial drying (want to kill any remaining cri tters). I want to avoid checking and will seal the ends.

This might help...
http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic 835.0
Interesting points on "casehardening" if the kiln is run for too long of a straight stretch. That topic is also covered here, with diagrams:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/treesearch/pubs/35061

Drying Wood with Dehumidifier Wood Kiln
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF8vCwsHp1g

On Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 3:51:53 PM UTC-7, Gramps' shop wrote:

Wow! Kilns don't usually live indoors, unless you are doing small boards?
This book (available in .pdf online)
<https://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/pubs/37440
discusses kiln drying, chapter 13 should be informative. Looks like you'd need to tend/readjust the gizmo twice a day for a week.
The final step (highest temperature) kills off bugs and such... 180 Fahrenheit.
If you start with air-drying the kiln finishing might be quicker.