Why can't I see my messages on this board

I must be doing something wrong here. i'm accessing rec.woodworking thru Google Groups. I can read the updates, and post messages but I never see the ones I post or the replys in google. If I search my name or topic I can find them. Ive waited the 3-6 hours google says it takes.

How is everyone else reading this board? Ar eyou using Google or another news reader, if so what?

Thanks

Reply to
slindars

What eMail reader do you use?

If it is a "standard" one, try visiting

and signing up for a newsgroup account there. No graphics or binaries so it's all text newsgroups only. But why would anyone want the other stuff anyhow? :)

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Very few people use Google. Most people use newsreader software (varies depending on OS) and the news server provided by their ISP.

I use Thoth, running on Mac OS X, and while I can read via shaw.ca (my ISP) I have an account with supernews.com so I can keep up to date no matter where I am (home, work, travelling...)

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Have you plonked yourself? Are you on your blocked senders list?

Reply to
Leon

I'm reading it through Outlook Express

Reply to
Jack Casuso

"Leon" wrote

Here is what happened to me once. A troll didn't like a comment I made. He often changed his e-mail addy to foil people plonking him. He knew I was killfiling him. So he combined my e-mail addy with one of his many screen personas.

I, and many other folks, killfiled him. But what we all ended up doing was to killfile me. It took me a while to figure it out. Once I did, i unkillfiled myself. I told that newsgroup and several folks commented that they wondered why I disappeared.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Half and half.

I use google when there is a firewall in the way blocking NNTP. Otherwise, I use Outlook Express. I have no problem with Google other than the latency. I find that for rec.woodworking, it updates at about 6:30 AM/PM and 12:30 AM/PM (CST). If I post between 9:30AM and 11:30 AM, I wont see my post until the 6PM go around (It will miss the noon one). I get far less response from the google posts, however as most people have KF them per the FAQ.

FriscoSoxFan

You are posting a message asking why you can't read your own posts or replies to them?

Ah, if only imagination like that could be put to a useful purpose.

Reply to
toller

toller did say:

Did you *plonk* yourself?

Reply to
WoodMangler

I use Netscape and the NNTP host(s) from my ISP(s). They show up within seconds of being posted, minutes at the longest.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
johnny rotten

I accidentally did it to my self one time.

Reply to
Leon

I use Mozilla Thunderbird which is a lot like Outlook Express and my ISP's newsgroup service (NNTP). Joe

johnny rotten wrote:

Reply to
Joe_Stein

In some occasions I have seen the same symptoms, but in the other way around. I can read everything in Google, but occasionally my own posts are not visible in Outlook express.

+++ Ollie
Reply to
Ollie

OK, so if you can't see your postings or the replies, how are we going to be able to help you by replying to your question?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I just had the same problem. Are you filtering out read messages? In Outlook express go to "views" and check "show all messages".

Jeff

Sorry for top posting, but wanted to make sure slindars could find what I replied. hee-hee

Reply to
NOTME

Mark & Juanita wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

What he is saying is he can't see his posts when he views rec.ww as a group in Google. If he searchs by his name or subject, then he sees his posts (proving that they're actually there on Google).

I have no idea why that would be happening. Google's understanding of Usenet is extremely poor, and their Groups software is really just a (poorly thought out) extension of the search engine into an archive of posts. Perhaps someone thought it would be a good idea to set a cookie & not return a posters own posts when browsing a group.

Anyway, the best solution would be to get a newsreader and access Usenet on a newsserver. There's a multitude of free newsreaders (Xnews being very good & popular for Windows), and there are some free newsservers (news.individual.net being the best). Anyone trying to use Google for newgroups would be well advised to try out using a newsreader & server.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

It can take as long as threee days for articles posted through Google to show up on Google though NORMALLY it only takes a few hours.

Much of the other advice and questions in this thread are non-equitor, as you are using Google, which is a Web interface for reading and posting to Usenet, not an email client and not a newsreader.

You have not plonked yourself because Google does not support killfiles etc etc.

If, as you say, you can find your articles and replies to them by searching, then what's the problem? That is the easiest and most effective way to use Google. Beats scrolling though all the other subjects in the newsgroup to find your articles.

Google also has occaisional malfunctions that make all recent articles inaccessible for a few hours at a time.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt