Sawstop delivered!

Well, I'll have to do something about that...

In matters like these, I base a lot of what I feel on 12 years of experience as a Trauma and Cardiac Medic where I attended to all sorts of accidents and results from stupidity. Not all of what I believe, but it is a factor. I've taken in traumatic amputations, and all sorts of deep cuts. Most seemed to have been from circular saws if I remember correctly. The nastyist were from chain saws. Most of the circular saw accidents I saw were (again - working from recall here), contractors who got too casual in the use of their tools, were cut in associating with some form of falling or losing balance with the tool in hand, or believe it or not - from too much beer in the cooler. You typically didn't see the later on a real job site, but it was common enough when the pro was doing some weekend work with the buddies.

An injury a day would nothing short of surprise me. Shock me even. Perhaps astound me. Ok, so I'm easily moved. Nonetheless, you must live in a pretty large metro area I would guess, in order to see that type of injury level. Maybe not - just struck me as a high number.

FWIW, my thoughts on the sawstop concept are kind of mixed. I certainly do not care for the forced approach they are taking, though the Capitalist in me can admire it to a degree. The rebel in me is in conflict with that when I realize it could affect me personally. I'm not really against the design concept, though I've been around long enough to be wary or big promises, demos, etc. I am certainly in the "wait and see what it really proves to be" mode right now. I'd hope they could come up with an alternative design that is less destructive. I'm really not a big fan of how brutal this thing is in it's approach. I can see a lot of damage to some pretty good table saws coming from this type of approach. Maybe not. Time will tell. A lot of good designs didn't start out as elegant as they evolved to be, and that could well be the case with this product. I'm interested in seeing what release 2.7 or 3.14.2.79 brings. The only other real objection I have right now is that it *seems* (admittedly, I have only taken a couple of token looks at this thing) that they are heavily leveraging the fears of woodworkers and gouging pretty good on the prices. As much as I believe in safety, and in profit, there is no need to take the consumer to the cleaners. Again - time and production may help that problem.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Mike, I live in Houston.

Reply to
Leon

One of my BIL's, who is currently an ER physician, refers to woodworking tools, and the table saw in particular, as "job security".

Reply to
Swingman

.. .

;~)

ROTFLMAO...........

Reply to
Leon

"Saw an injury daily" and "saw a serious, disabling injury daily" are not the same. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission there are about 30,000 table-saw injuries per year that result in an emergency-room visit. That includes "walked into corner of table and busted balls", "slipped and banged head on table", "was wearing safety glasses, nonetheless managed to get splinter in eye", etc. If he's claiming 1000 amputations a year in his location he needs to call the CPSC right away because according to them he's seeing a third of all of them that occur in the US.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Yeah, but that's a pretty skewed perspective. Psychiatrists think everyone is crazy, cops think everyone is a crook, etc. ER physicians have some funny biases, I used to know one who referred to motorcycles as "murdercycles". Hardly true and shows an obvious bias that makes me question his opinion on a lot of other subjects as well.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass responds:

True. When I was a youngster riding motorcycles, my mother was an ER nurse. A lot easier to stay away from her place than to go listen.

Charlie Self "Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell

Reply to
Charlie Self

Not murdercycles, rather they are DonorCycles as long as the rider has a organ donor card

John

Reply to
John

John john responds:

Back in the '50s and well into the '60s, at least, no one had an organ donor card.

Charlie Self "Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell

Reply to
Charlie Self

They weren't doing near as many transplants either.

Reply to
Upscale

Without a 1, 2 is not going to happen. Skipped grade school eh?

Reply to
CW

It's still "click here to pre-order", Ted. Wake me if that changes.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

As in "still not shipping", yes.

Where did I say I have pre-ordered? I don't buy vaporware, Ted, and I don't take kindly to vendors trying to mandate something people can't buy yet.

Looks to me like you need to work on your reading comprehension.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I couldn't if I wanted to, ted. Unless the page changed since thursday.

Show me where I can buy the thing, Ted. Some random guy with a blog who got one, doesn't mean that production units are shipping.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Yup. It's probably not a coincidence that Wisconsin is a "voluntary helmet" state, _and_ is one of the highest sources of donated organs due to head injury patients.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Ted contents that some guy with a blog getting a unit, means that prod units are shipping. I disagree with his statement.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Hm. You know, I'm not sure any news client does. The headers come in separate from the body, and far as I know, all killfiles act just on header information. You're saying "If the word (blah) is in the message anywhere, don't show me the header", I think?

Should be simple enough but I don't know of any which do that. Never saw the need to go beyond headers-based killfiling, though, so I haven't looked.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

A friend that works at the local hospital indicates that helmets "mostly" make the body identifiable.

Reply to
Leon

Leon responds:

Simply not true. I've been spit off motorcycles in a variety of situations, usually with no result other than some bruises and cuts and a minor cracked bone or two. I can think of a half dozen instances where a helmet saved my life, while the rest of me got sore, but healed quickly.

For anyone who has trouble believing that, I suggest you watch a non-stadium motocross or a top road race or six. When you see riders in road races going down at 80 and 90 mph, theng etting up to try to start their mangled bikes, you'll begin to understand the value of helmets (and maybe, just maybe, such a view will discourage those who wear shorts and thonged sandals while riding).