SawStop?

Page 3 of 7

Be happy: http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/14mar20010800/edocket.access.gpo.gov/2003/03-17327.htm http://www.cpsc.gov/LIBRARY/FOIA/FOIA03/brief/Tablesaw.pdf http://www.cpsc.gov/LIBRARY/FOIA/FOIA03/petition/Bladesawpt1.pdf http://www.cpsc.gov/LIBRARY/FOIA/FOIA03/petition/Bladesawpt2.pdf
Also try groups.google.com It has been covered in detail here a number of times.

been
It has been there for a few years. -j

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/14mar20010800/edocket.access.gpo.gov/2003/03-17327.htm
This akamaized URL does not work. The content versioning part of the URL has been changed because gpo.gov's site has superceded that version. In almost every case, you can get the information anyway by shortening the URL by taking the Akamai-specific stuff out of the URL and starting with edocket.... in this case.
Yup, verified it, and it works. (I brought Akamai to our company's web delivery systems, so I'm very comfortable making that statement).
Right. "We want you to make this mandatory to help the people (but oh by the way we hold the patent)". Lovely.
You know, it's interesting. Saab patented dual-diagonal hydraulic brakes and 3-point seat belts. Mercedes patented "crumple zones", a way of having the car body absorb impact so the person's body doesn't have to. Both these companies _freely allow_ others to use their technology, to save lives. I can't help but think that SawStop's mission is other than just to help people.

Nice pics. Too bad it's not a color document. Ah well.

Indeed. And maybe some year, there will be a sawstop-enabled saw somewhere that someone can walk in with money and walk out with a saw. If their letter about why their outsourced production problems are stopping them from shipping product is any indication, it won't happen any time soon.
Great idea, though. Maybe they could allow others to engineer and build based on their idea, like Saab and Mercedes did with their life-saving developments.
Dave "...but I doubt it..." Hinz
'
"Dave Hinz" < snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...
J wrote:

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/14mar20010800/edocket.access.gpo.gov/2003/03-17327.htm
Little known fact--the antiskid braking system used on many cars these days is based on a Mercedes-Benz patent that Mercedes placed in the public domain for the good of society.
He'd be much more impressive if he did something like that. And since nobody wants to make the damn thing but him anyway, his financial risk is small unless it takes off in which case he's going to be rich anyway if he doesn't screw up.

--
--John

I think I read it here that the Saw Stop folks are lawyers by trade. And that there is more than one.
-j

The main guy is a patent lawyer with a PhD in physics.
--
Hank Gillette

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 00:01:33 -0500, Hank Gillette

I'll be their first thousand (or ten) replacement mechanisms go to people for false-activation (people who sawed wet wood or otherwise touched a safe part of the blade, etc.) and the lawsuits start the moment the things get into people's shops. It eats the blade and the mechanism whenever it's triggered. Tell that to the guy who accidentally loses TWO Forrest WWII blades in one day, eh? the SawStop is an almost-good idea with an expensive appetite. No thanks. I won't even be looking at them, especially at that really exhorbitant price.
--
"Most Folks Are As Happy As They Make Up Their Minds To Be"
-Abraham Lincoln

Good point. I'm in the "wait and see" catagory.
On 15 Dec 2004 13:32:47 GMT, Bruce Barnett

I seem to have lost the "t" on "I'll bet" up there, haven't I? Yeah, let's pay double (triple? quadruple?) the price for a saw so a lawyer can make money.
--
"Most Folks Are As Happy As They Make Up Their Minds To Be"
-Abraham Lincoln

Mercedes did the same thing with their "crumple zone" impact absorbing technology, as Saab did decades ago with their dual-diagonal hydraulic braking patents.

Yup. It's clear that Sawstop's motivation is for other than the public good. Hell, one could argue that by patenting it and failing to provide a product, they're _preventing_ public good, since they won't allow competant manufacturers to build 'em.

He offered to license it to the manufacturers and they blew him off. How is that not letting them build them?
--
Hank Gillette

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 00:01:07 -0500, Hank Gillette

that's his side of the story. we aready know that sawstop is ready to play dirty to get their way.
Hank Gillette asks:

And, one can add, how much of what is good for the public has come from people working "for the public good"?
The guy wants to make a buck off some years of hard work, which makes sense to me. But trying to get the government to force use turned me off.
Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill

Was that before, or after, he tried to force all of them to put the device on their saws? If after, I can see why they'd tell him to pound sand.

What you and I don't know though Hank, is at what cost did he offer to license it to the manufacturers? It's one thing for Gass to make that statement, but it does not tell the whole story.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

That's very true. Since none of the saw manufacturers have said that they would like to license it, but that the cost was prohibitive, it doesn't really seem likely that that is the reason. But it could be.
--
Hank Gillette

Of course if he gives up the patents and it takes off, the current saw manufacturers would simply add it to their product line and he'd be totally left out.
--
Hank Gillette

Google for "licensing". He could let others manufacture it and take a cut from each sale, nothing new or novel there.

Didn't he offer to do that, without any takers?
--
Hank Gillette

Hank Gillette wrote:

Not necessarily. If he's tooled up to produce the parts for the whole industry then he's likely to be able to sell them for less than any individual saw manufacturer can make them, so most would end up buying his kit instead of reinventing the wheel.
--
--John