Re: Damn Amazon

Page 2 of 2

Coastal is great via the 'net as well, which is why I posted the link!
Barry
in message >

Great? They are even better than that. They special ordered a coupleof items for me that most people don't even know exist. I'm talking about accessories for the Biesemeyer fence, such as the bracket that goes under the tableboard to hold the fence when you want to remove it. I never see that listed on a web page, but Coastal ordered them for me and shipped at reasonable price. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
I did come across Costal, looks decent, Thanks!
mark
in message wrote:

Amazon has nothing to do with their affiliates getiing ranked high on search engines. The affiliates only get paid if someone buys something, so they all do everything they can to get listed higher on search engines.
I hate it when I'm trying to find any vendor besides Amazon that sells an item. I haven't bought from Amazon in several years, but I would never buy through any of those affiliates.
Brian Elfert
Wonder if the affiliates have thought of the fact that if your going to end up at Amazon when you order anyway, pretty soon you'll start going directly to Amazon in the first place. I know I would.
mark
writes:

Tools On Sale is actually Seven Corners Ace Hardware in St. Paul, MN.
Amazon bought the mail order and web portions of a company called Tool Crib. Tool Crib has been totally integrated into Amazon, except they still send a catalog every few weeks.
Brian Elfert

If you believe the folks at Google, they do not take any money for the regular search results. You can't pay for a higher position in the search results.
They do sell paid ads that are clearly listed as sponsored links on each search result page.
Brian Elfert

This is how I always thought Google works as well.
Barry
On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 00:50:28 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Although I'm sure there is some commerce involved with the search engines (otherwise explain the business model that assures their existance), in the years I've had a website (particularly the Norm's Tools part), I have never registered, much less paid, for any of the search engines. Yet if you do a search for "norm's tools" or "woodbutcher" or several other phrases associated with my site, you will find lots of links to it.
LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

Depends on the search engine.
Some flat out sell "relevancy", pay more, get listed first. Yahoo comes to mind here.
Others, like Google, sell advertising space shown alongside the spidered listings. Ads are displayed as they are relevant to the search results. Google also sells solutions, the search engine draws possible customers to the site in the first place.
<http://www.google.com/services/
Barry

"sort of" relevant you mean. I _think_ the way Google works is you (the buyer) select some search terms, and if they use _any_ of the terms on your list, your ad is a candidate to show up as a sponsored link. The cost is based on the number of times you want your link to show up.
I, _all_too_regularly_, see 'sponsored links' that are utterly unrelated to what I'm really looking for. But there's a 'context match' if you take _one_ of the words I used in the search, in isolation. e.g., i do a search on "stained glass window", and get sponsored links for stain removers and window-shades.

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 13:46:01 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

<http://www.google.com/technology/index.html
Barry

Addresses *ONLY* how google ranks the general listings.
*NOT* how they decide which _sponsored_links_ to display.
The "technology" used for the two selection processes is _definitely_ different.
<http://www.google.com/ads/ shows that 'sponsored link' placementis based the appearance of a purchased "keyword" in a search query.
wrote in message

Glad to help...
TFO doesn't list everything they sell on the web site so they very well might have the Tradesman clamps. Off hand I don't recall what clamps they have in the store... I haven't looked a clamps in a while...
John
On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 03:13:49 GMT, "markm"

50 Clamps? _CALL_ a smaller place like Coastal or Tools-Plus. They may give you an even better price, drop shipped direct from Bessey or a wholesaler.
The smaller guys may be willing to negotiate, especially if they don't even have to touch them.
Barry

I've free-shipped about everything I've bought from ToolCrib (Amazon) and have had stuff delivered the day after the order. The longest I've waited is 5 business days!
Free shipping, for me at least, has been wonderful!