Damn Amazon

I was aware of that, but I didn't include the details because I was trying to make the point that Amazon hadn't bought "Tools on Sale" and to correct who they (T-O-S) were.

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Amazon has nothing to do with their affiliates getiing ranked high on search engines. The affiliates only get paid if someone buys something, so they all do everything they can to get listed higher on search engines.

I hate it when I'm trying to find any vendor besides Amazon that sells an item. I haven't bought from Amazon in several years, but I would never buy through any of those affiliates.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Tools On Sale is actually Seven Corners Ace Hardware in St. Paul, MN.

Amazon bought the mail order and web portions of a company called Tool Crib. Tool Crib has been totally integrated into Amazon, except they still send a catalog every few weeks.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Tools On Sale dropped the free shipping in the past few years. I have no idea how they compete in the mail order business without free shipping as their prices are pretty high.

They do have a web site that is mostly worthless. It was a little better before they redesigned it a year or so ago.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

If you believe the folks at Google, they do not take any money for the regular search results. You can't pay for a higher position in the search results.

They do sell paid ads that are clearly listed as sponsored links on each search result page.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

This is how I always thought Google works as well.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Coastal is great via the 'net as well, which is why I posted the link!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Great? They are even better than that. They special ordered a coupleof items for me that most people don't even know exist. I'm talking about accessories for the Biesemeyer fence, such as the bracket that goes under the tableboard to hold the fence when you want to remove it. I never see that listed on a web page, but Coastal ordered them for me and shipped at reasonable price. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Glad to help...

TFO doesn't list everything they sell on the web site so they very well might have the Tradesman clamps. Off hand I don't recall what clamps they have in the store... I haven't looked a clamps in a while...

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Although I'm sure there is some commerce involved with the search engines (otherwise explain the business model that assures their existance), in the years I've had a website (particularly the Norm's Tools part), I have never registered, much less paid, for any of the search engines. Yet if you do a search for "norm's tools" or "woodbutcher" or several other phrases associated with my site, you will find lots of links to it.

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Depends on the search engine.

Some flat out sell "relevancy", pay more, get listed first. Yahoo comes to mind here.

Others, like Google, sell advertising space shown alongside the spidered listings. Ads are displayed as they are relevant to the search results. Google also sells solutions, the search engine draws possible customers to the site in the first place.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

"sort of" relevant you mean. I _think_ the way Google works is you (the buyer) select some search terms, and if they use _any_ of the terms on your list, your ad is a candidate to show up as a sponsored link. The cost is based on the number of times you want your link to show up.

I, _all_too_regularly_, see 'sponsored links' that are utterly unrelated to what I'm really looking for. But there's a 'context match' if you take _one_ of the words I used in the search, in isolation. e.g., i do a search on "stained glass window", and get sponsored links for stain removers and window-shades.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

The official word:

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Reply to
markm

Addresses *ONLY* how google ranks the general listings.

*NOT* how they decide which _sponsored_links_ to display.

The "technology" used for the two selection processes is _definitely_ different.

shows that 'sponsored link' placement is based the appearance of a purchased "keyword" in a search query.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

50 Clamps? _CALL_ a smaller place like Coastal or Tools-Plus. They may give you an even better price, drop shipped direct from Bessey or a wholesaler.

The smaller guys may be willing to negotiate, especially if they don't even have to touch them.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

I've free-shipped about everything I've bought from ToolCrib (Amazon) and have had stuff delivered the day after the order. The longest I've waited is 5 business days!

Free shipping, for me at least, has been wonderful!

Reply to
mttt