OT: WalMart Women in Playboy

Page 3 of 6
About seven years ago, I was working in a place that would not allow you to smoke there but you could drink beer. The fridge in the lunchroom always had at least a case in it.The next job I had was the same but they also let you smoke.

shopping
what I

into
about
my
the
CW responds:

Yeah. And not too long ago, some of the beer companies supplied free beer to employees, to take home and drink with lunch.
Charlie Self
"Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it." E. B. White
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 10:28:54 +0000, Charlie Self wrote:

The FIL worked in the Olympia brewery for 37 years. They had beer in the lunchroom for employees. The rule was "get shit-faced, get shit-canned".
The Oly brewery is long gone as well as the FIL :-(
-Doug
On 24 Nov 2003 10:28:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

And not too long ago, you could drink and get behind the wheel of a car...and nobody much cared.
Have a nice week...
Trent

When I was stationed in Germany with the U.S. Army, we would always chuckle at the blue-collar, tradesman-type workers (carpenters, cobblestone layers, plumbers, etc.) They believed in starting the job early, and usually worked 6:30-2 or so. Around nine o'clock they'd take their first beer break, and break out one bottle of beer and a hard roll. Lunch was about 10:30, and consisted of one bottle of beer and a sandwich.
Like many others here, I've never worked anywhere where it was acceptable to have even a single drink at lunch. I never understood why anyone would want to. There are certain meals with which a glass of beer or wine are the perfect touch, but lunch during the work day has always been "functional" to me... it's fuel, and you just eat and then go back to work without worrying about the gourmand aspects.
After the whistle blows, Retreat is sounded, the sun sets... whatever your standard for "end of the day", then by all means enjoy a libation. I'm enjoying a beer as I type this at 9:45 a.m., but of course I work midnight-8, so it's 6:45 p.m. by my clock. :-)
Kevin

Culture. For centuries in Europe beer has been the drink of choice for meals because of the dangers in drinking unsanitary water. Wine was also appropriate, but more expensive. It wasn't until perhaps the late 18th or early 19th century that the concepts of sanitation and water treatment were implemented into municipalities.
I'm sure those workman would not only be puzzled at any concern over their "drinking" but would also probably snort in derision if offered the substitute of a weak ass American beer.
LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
LRod notes:

Probably pushing the WWI era, from what I read.

Oh well. Might be good to see what they think of Wild Turkey 101 on the rocks. Or, since I'm told at least the Brits don't like ice in whiskey, without the rocks.
Charlie Self
"Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it." E. B. White
says...

Actually, no. Unless things have changed, the only time German beer has the alcohol content of American beer is during "starkbier" season - roughly equivalent to bock season. The stuff they drink at work for lunch is about like the old 1.2 near beer.
I was over there for one of those and the Germans kept warning me to be careful because the beer was so much stronger than normal. Not to me, bu it sure did taste a lot better than American beer.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Not in Southern Europe. I remember in 1964, when I visited my grandarents, my (OBWW: cabinetmaker) grandfather would buy wine for 220 Lire a litre - that was about 30 cents - including a 50 Lire deposit for the bottle. I remember because we had a Coke in Venice that cost 600 Lire, and my mother made a point of saying how expensive it was.
Wine was almost always watered down with mineral water, a habit I still have unless it's an exceptionally good bottle.
On 24 Nov 2003 03:15:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Why would their occupation make the danger any more real?...for the person that's gonna be at risk.

Stuff that fork into some guys gut and you've got a pretty good mess, too.

Trying to belittle the statement still doesn't make you wrong. And you are!

We were talkin' about an employer-employee situation. When yer by yourself...as you say above...the risk is self-centered...and fine.

There's no doubt that YOU are! lol
The world has changed, Charlie. Pay attention!
Have a nice week...
Trent

I think most...if not all...employers have that policy.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Trent responds:

You think. You don't know. You can't be bothered to check. But you DO comment.
You only seem to show up when you can needle someone. I think your BS quotient just went well over my limit. I agree with some of your opinions, but others are nonsense you post for no reason other than to amuse yourself. As far as I am concerned, you'll have to play by yourself.
Charlie Self
"Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it." E. B. White
On 24 Nov 2003 03:18:44 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Can I check EVERY employer in the world? lol No, Charlie...I can't. Ya got me there! lol
That's why I phrased it like I did.

Funny how you get pissed when someone disagrees with you! lol
BTW...your above rules have ALWAYS been in effect...not just in this news group either.
If you don't like my posts, you have the option to ignore them.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Charlie Self wrote:

ROTFLMAOPIMP!!!!!!
Gimmie a W!
Gimmie a A!
I never did that, except once. One day I was lucky enough to be selected to *lead* the damn thing.
I still have flashbacks.
I am a former employee, and I got into a heated discussion with the store manager over some of their policies.
- The store sold beer, but we weren't allowed to consume any (even if we purchased it ourselves) at company functions such as X-mas parties. -They sold music but dancing wasn't allowed at the functions either.
I was told "Sam Walton" was a very religious man and the company would never allow these things, to which I replied then maybe they shouldn't be open on Sundays and religious days, and not sell cigarettes, alcohol, and music..
I couldn't help noticing down through the years that there is no more fertile ground for hypocrisy than a religious man.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03
Swingman wrote:

Too often true, I'm afraid. I can name one or two who break that mold, but it's not typical.
More than that I'd best not say. That's a big can of worms that doesn't need opening here and now.
Unless it's an antireligious one preaching "tolerance."

Isn't it odd how a man attempting to be a moral example, but who doesn't meet your idea of what "moral" should be, is a hypocrite? And how a man who publicly displays the morals of a tomcat is accepted because he has made no pretense at morality?
"Hypocrisy is the tribute that vice pays to virtue." - La Rochefoucauld 1613-1680
Kevin
Yep, but I don't think it's that odd. That's why we have no real problem accept when someone like Jerry Falwell does the same thing he has been preaching against for years. When you get on a soapbox and tell the rest of us how we should live our lives and then don't follow your own example, that is hypocracy.
djd