cellulose insulation - just pour in?

I want to add some insulation to my attic and was thinking of using the cellulose (shredded paper) stuff. But I don't want to use a blower, I want to just buy bags of insulation and pour the stuff where I want it. My question is do you lose anything by doing it that way? Does it need the blowing step to fluff it up? Is it real compressed in the bag? I have never handled the stuff.

Reply to
Heathcliff

Yes, blow this stuff in and yes fluff it. Do not cover any attic vents. You can place ruler markers to show the thickness as you work out.

One person in the attic and one at the blower, feeding the machine continuously..as necessary.

Cell phones/walkie-talkies are good ideas...

-- Oren

Oren

It is very compressed int hte bag and does need the blower to fluff it up.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Yes, Yes Yes.

Do the job the right way.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If you work in the rain, keep the machine dry. Ohterwise the stuff clumps, and you get charged for cleaning the machine when you return it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On the blower machine, Only open the slide about 1/5 or 1/4 of the way, otherwise the tube jams with cellulose. This from experience.

2" PVC works nicely, to get the fluff farther into a void. The same 2" PVC which was left over from installing a furnace. The PVC slips into the end of the blower hose.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've had a home inspector offer this as a soluttion. Some insulation was damaged by previous home owner, and he said a bag or two was cheap, and if you 'fluff' it up manually, I shouldn't need a blower.

Sounded resonable, and the fact it wasn't fiberglass, I woudl even use my hands. :)

Just saying what I was told,

tom @

Tom The Great