cellulose vs. fiberglass blowin insulation?

I bit the bullet and realized I cannot DIY blown-in insulation in the kneewalls and other hard to insulate areas in the house. (Frame 2 story in Chicago, IL.) I've gotten estimates from two companies so far.

But, I got one guy who is adamant that he use blow-in fiberglass, that cellulose is lousy, dusty, dirty, and susceptible to mold. I do some websearching, and find that fiberglass, however, is susceptible to "fluffing" by the installer... They can blow it in in a way that looks like they've filled the space, but it's more air than it should be...

So now I'm conflicted, and torn as to how to decide. Any installer is going to be an unknown entity for me, no matter what, so I have to go on stuff like BBB, how long in business and apparent "certifications" in the insulation business.

Opinions, please!

Reply to
Barb

Considering that you're supposed to be very careful around fiberglass insulation that comes in rolls (and yet, still releases some material as it's handled), I'd be concerned about a product that's able to be blown in. Is it done primarily through holes made from the outside of the house? If some work is done inside, is the guy prepared (with the appropriate fancy vacuum cleaner) to clean up any dusty residue?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Cellulose is paper, get it wet its nearly ruined, it is dusty, it deteriorates over time, that is why it is cheaper and I and many use fiberglass.

Reply to
m Ransley

That's true, I used the cellulose for my previous house's attic (you could actually see on some larger pieces the actual newsprint from recycled newspaper). However, the cellulose has been treated with pesticides, fungicides, and fire retardants to counteract the decomposition, pests, and flammability. It is still dusty going in though, much more so than I would imagine fiberglass to be.

Reply to
louie

Is it basically a pump-able version of the pink stuff we buy in rolls? If yes, is it easily controllable so you don't end up with a lot of it to clean up?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I got the fiberglass.

Reply to
scott21230

The installers quote should specify the amount of material to be purchased and installed. You can simply come on site during installation and count the empty bags of material and verify all was in fact used. Don't tip them off you will be counting, if they are crooked, they will have extra empty bags on hand but they would have to be pretty crooked to think that far ahead. If not specified on the quote, you can still count and work your way back to what you believe they should need.

Reply to
PipeDown

Hi, Organic vs. inorganic. If I were you, I'd go for fiberglass. I never used anything else for blown in. I am in COLD Calgary Alberta. It was -20C this morning. The guy doing the work is usually hired hand. I buy couple bottles of booze for him. He just turns on the blower and look the other way, LOL. Once I had R60 in my attic for the price of R40 job(plus two bottles of vodka). Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

this is Turtle.

i did my house with cellulose and it was the one of the biggest mistake i have made in my life. The Cellulose will put dust in your house for YEARS . i insulated my house about a little less than 10 years ago and I'm Still getting dust in my house from it. It is Cheaper but it is hell to deal with later on after you install it.

Install Fiber Glass and Deal with the problem you spoke about of the Firber glass being installed. Istallation problem can be openly dealt with but a non-ending problem is a big mistake.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

That's not an answer to the question I asked, about the form or consistency of the blown fiberglass product.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Yeah, I'm getting the feeling that i should go with fiberglass, although I'm still a bit skeptical that it is as resistent to particulate drift as they claim. the guy said you could take a handful, hold it up to a light, shake it and not see any dust coming off of it....

I think I need to simply be sure that I've anticipated any possibility that we might need to later open up any of the walls it gets put into... I'm thinking kneewalls won't ever get opened, but the attic space overhead is a bit more troubling. I also wish fiberglass had greater soundproofing qualities. I'm near a busy street and it would be nice to reduce the traffic noise that I get through the roof and attic...

Reply to
Barb

This is Turtle.

Which is better , a little more noise from outdoors in your house or a life time of dust on everything you have and bunches of it. i'm stuck with it , but I hope you don't.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE