Garage Door repair

My Craftsman 1/2HP garage door opener only runs in the clockwise direction. It won't close the door, it just tightens the chain towards the open position. I managed to removed the chain, and the gear still only runs clockwise. I don't see any damage inside the housing. How can I get it to run counter-clockwise again to close the door? What mechanism is supposed to make it reverse?

Thank you.

Reply to
emulemul

Sounds like you need a new garage door opener. Actually, the problem is probably something simple, like a blown H-bridge (or power transistor or triac...whatever controls the motor). But the work involved in fixing this - assuming that you know what to do and have the part and a soldering iron - is more than the cost of a new opener.

Mike

Reply to
upand_at_them

Sounds like the "Center Limit Contact" came loose from the limit switch assembly's center drive screw. You should be able to clean up the drive screw and pop the contact back into place. Check the assembly for wear if you need to replace it, the part number is 41D3452

Rich

Rich