Stanley Garage Door Opener Problem...

Hopefully one of you can steer me in the right direction. I bought a house with a Stanley chain-driven garage door opener 6 months ago. Recently the opener has had problems, but I know nothing about GDO's. When opening or closing (more often when opening) the door will stop in its tracks and the light attached to the motor will start blinking on and off.

I detached the door from the opener and it opened and closed easily. I then lubricated the chain and track. Everything was OK for a couple of days and then it started stopping again. Is this problem mechanical or electrical? The fact that it stops seems to indicate that it is mechanical, but once the GDO starts blinking it seems to get stuck in the off position and I have to unplug a few times to get it to start again.

Since Stanley does not make GDO's any more is this even worth fixing? What is the best GDO manufactor right now? Genie?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Chris Hankey

Hi Chris,

You just need to adjust the power that the opener transmits thru the drive to the chain.

You should see a large knob on the bottom of the opener. Look closely and it should indicate + and - for clockwise and counter clockwise movement (seen from the bottom). Give it about a 1/4 turn at a time until it closes. The flashing light is to let you know that it 'hit' something: didn't have enough power to finish close or open.

Good luck.

Reply to
greginkc

Mine does that when something blocks the electric eye-- or they're slightly misaligned. Check for dust bunnies, leaves, and proper alignment..

Doc

Reply to
Doc

Your opener probably doesn't have photo-cells since they quit making Stanley openers about the time that photo-cells were required by UL325. Even so, photo-cells will only stop a closing door & have no effect on a door while it is opening.

It maybe the circuit board if the unit locks up & you have to unplug the opener to reset. However it may be that the unit has overheated & not locked up, which it will take approx 15 minutes for it to cool down enough to operate again. If it is overheated it doesn't matter whether you unplug it or not.

However there are a few items you should inspect. Check the gear housing & cover for cracks since they break quite often.

Check the bolts holding the motor to the top plate to make sure they are tight as they will loosen themselves to the point where the motor will eventually separate from the top plate (this will break the gear housing every time).

Inspect the micro switch on the gear housing that goes up against the overload cam (round white plastic piece that is above the force adjustment spring that protrudes through the cover) if your unit has one. This micro switch is what makes the opener stop in the up direction or reverse in the close direction if the door meets an obstruction. The micro switch should not be pushed in under normal conditions. A load on the opener will cause the overload cam to drop down & trip the switch.

That's it for Stanley Opener Basics 101

Doordoc

Doordoc

Stanley, didnt they outrsource to prevent paying American taxexs?

POS

Jan e

Reply to
Jane