Sabotaged Stanley garage door opener

A family member (soon to be deceased) needed to open my garage door without the remote, so he fiddled with either the open or close knobs on the bottom of the mechanism. This is a Stanley 3220.51. Now, when I close the door using either the remote or the pushbutton in the garage, the door hits bottom and then immediately goes up again. The offender claims not to remember which way he turned which knob. Any assistance is appreciated. House came with opener. No manual.

Also need tips for disposing of a body. It's winter, so digging will be difficult without renting a small backhoe. Erie Canal has been drained. Not much water left in which to sink said corpse.

Reply to
Curmudgeon

Try turning the close know 1 full turn counter-clockwise and see what happens. If still a problem, give it another full turn. Repeat until the door stops above full closure. Then fine-tune the exact closing point.

Reply to
hrhofmann

For the Stanley manual, try this -- not sure if your model is covered:

For the body, thin ice is can be a danger in winter. ;)

Reply to
Erma1ina

Curmudgeon wrote in news:2f3eb91e-56cf-4b46-a30d- snipped-for-privacy@m11g2000vbo.googlegroups.com:

Haven't you ever seen "Fargo"?

Reply to
Red Green

"Steve B" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.infowest.com:

Reminds me of an old ha-ha.

Guy gets the Genie & 3 wishes thing. Catch is that Genie tells guy anything you wish for your mother-in-law gets twice that. Guy ponders and comes up with:

1) Huge amount of money 2) Extremely good looks 3) Beat me half to death.
Reply to
Red Green

The adjustment knobs are usually a straight slot that you can turn with a small screwdriver. There should be an arrow to more or less. Do them a little at a time. Work on one direction at a time, and that would probably be the down. There's usually one marked UP and the other DOWN. Put the unit on an extension cord, or better yet a multiple outlet strip so if it gets out of hand, you can just turn it off with the rocker switch.

My garage door won't work during a particular time in the morning when the sun shines directly on the sensor. Stand so you shade the sensor with your body, and see if that's it. If not, you'll need a ladder, a MOS, a screwdriver, and a little patience.

Killing people has been outlawed. Beating them hasn't.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Turn the white knob counter-clockwise. Isn't there a label near the knobs, one labelled something like "More downward travel" and the other "More upward travel"?

Do what the Fins did to invading Soviet soldiers whose throats they slashed: prop up their bodies for everybody to see.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

This is a pretty old unit, apparently. (It's actually at my concubine's house). One knob says "Up" and the other says "Down". I'm about to dig through the snow to get to the garage now. I'll post results later.

Advice like that is what makes newsgroups such a valuable asset to society. Thank you.

Reply to
Curmudgeon

The ones I have use 4 adjustment controls. Two set the up and down travel limits. The other two set the up and down force. With yours I'd try adjusting the one marked down in the direction which may be marked on the case. Since it's only a single control, we really don't know if it's a travel limit or force adjustment, so can't say which way to turn it.

Reply to
trader4

Mine is a fairly new one with only two controls. It does the same thing in the winter - the slab appartently lifts slightly. The 'down' one decreases force (or travel) when turned counterclockwise. I just went through the seasonal adjustment this week.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K