How do they do that? - Freeing a cable

The first item on this video shows a trapped cable being freed is a bit of a con but what is it that makes the trick work?

Pamela

Play it on slow motion and watch very closely as he pulls the cable free, right at the last moment the cable passes _through_ the crossbar. But how the visual illusion or filming is done, if that's what you're asking, I don't know. Some sort of video version of photoshop I expect.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I humbly beg to differ. There's no video trickery. I can't explain, but it may be clearer if you try it.

It's a bit like taking your T shirt off without removing your pullover. :)

Reply to
GB

Yep , if the line disappearing to the bottom the image was above of the loop you would be able to slide the loop under the bar.

So the problem is getting the bottom wire above the loop, rather than under it. Which is pretty easy to see how to do.

It's the type of thing they might ask in an IQ test.

I've no idea if I would have passed or failed, because I watched the video first. :-)

Reply to
Pancho

I was going to try by copying in real life the setup shown in the video.

I reckoned it should be easy enough to see the "topology" of the cable but I found it wasn't!

Reply to
Pamela

Surely the illustrated trick can only work if the cable was truly above the bar, albeit twisted around into some other shape.

Reply to
Pamela

Try it, it works (provided you get your twists correct).

Reply to
Andy Burns

You don't need any twists, that is misdirection.

Just push the bottom wire along to the plug, lift it over the plug.

Then pull the plug.

Reply to
Pancho

That's exactly it! I recorded this and played it back frame by frame - there is no video trickery - the only trick is making it look like the cable is knotted round the frame in the first place.

Reply to
Dave W

Just tried it here frame by frame and Yep!, it does work as the vid shows it to!....

Reply to
tony sayer

I counted the number of passes under/over the bar etc, maybe if I knew the nomenclature of knots such as bends and bights, loops and turns etc, it would help describe it?

Reply to
Andy Burns

The cable is not just under that metal table support it is wrapped around it. There is no fix if the cable was just trapped under the table support.

Reply to
alan_m