how do they do that?

Cut the pieces for a jig-saw puzzle?

Angle grinder?

I'm guessing it must be some form of multi-disc cutter rolled across the surface in two directions. If so it must be a seriously big tooling job!

When the youngsters went away after Christmas we were left with a half finished 1000 piece puzzle blocking use of the dining table. Age and infirmity are telling but.... colour rendition from low energy lamps is not good, multiple light sources and a very reflective surface are worse and using reading glasses makes the job very tedious.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Press Knives. Just like what is used for cutting out shoe leather. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Tim,

Have a look here for some information on that:

or even here:

Google has quite a bit of information "How are jigsaw puzzles made"

Your youngsters should get together with my daughter, she's an expert on the things, and even the 'most difficult jigsaws in the world'[1] are childs play and done in a couple of days - 1000 piece ones are done in a few hours when she's in the mood - she follows her grandmother for that skill.

Me, I hate the bloody things.

[1] Advertising blurb BTW.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

I've a treadle-powered fretsaw which does the job very nicely if you've the patience and coordination.

Commercially, they use a big press-die.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Hobbies A1????

Where can I get a belt and the blades?

Reply to
Ericp

In message , Skipweasel writes

Yes. My brain was struggling with the complexity of the necessary tooling. Wiki points out that patterns may be repeated every 6 or 8 rows so a multi-hit job.

Oh well. If only my back didn't ache when bent at that particular angle:-(

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Cash

Reply to
Tim Lamb

scroll saw For wood.

Die cutter for cardboard.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hobbies Gem. Takes blades still available from most DIY shops - they're flat-ended. The belt needed shortening 1/4" but you can get new ones from sewing machine fanciers.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Originally, as the name suggests, a jig-saw. When wooden backing was replaced by card, they moved to box making technology and started to use press knives.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Cheers. :)

Reply to
Ericp

Search for leather sewing machine belt on eBay.

Reply to
Skipweasel