Johnson's Paste Wax

Page 2 of 5
MikeG wrote:

I thought that it was discontinued in the GWN but still on sale down here.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Cool. Thx.
The half-dozen Ace Hardware stores I pop into in the area all stock it.

Thu, Dec 16, 2004, 8:36am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (RampRat) <snip> A 6 pack my be excessive <snip> MAY be excessive? I've got a can I bought years back, in my local grocery (that still carries it, as far as I know), plus a full can I bought at a flea market for $1. I'm pretty generous with it when I use it, but the first can isn't even half gone. Get some buddies to chip in with you, get the 6 pack, and just get 1-2 cans each. Or, just buy the 6 pack, then SELL some to your buddies. Higher price to your enemies. LOL
JOAT Ask any question you please of the Gods. They do not have to answer. - Ko'a Orto'o, Gnomic Utterances, II xvi
J T wrote:

I've gone through about four cans in the last two years. I'm almost out again. I use that stuff on everything, and use it often.
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 20:28:39 -0500, Silvan

wow.. must use it on your hair, too!! *g*
I bought 2 brands in 81, 1 can of each... down to about 1/4 of each now..lol
mac davis wrote:

I have a bunch of chisels, lathe tools, cast iron machinery, hand planes, vises, anvils, sundry other steel or iron tools, all in an unheated shop. I've never bothered to mail order Boeshield or any of the other fancy alternatives. I just keep Johnson's on everything, and reapply as needed. For some stuff, maybe twice a year. For other stuff, maybe once a week. It's good on the soles of my planes and my saw table for making everything slide smoothly, as well as affording a measure of rust protection.
Then I also use it on everything I build. I used to use 0000 steel wool and wax over poly to kill the poly-ness, and then I saw the light and started using shellac. Now I use 0000 steel wool and wax over shellac to kill the shellac-ness. Shellac leaves a bit of a weird surface. The ol' wax and wool puts a perfect finishing touch on it, and affords it some miniscule measure of moisture and wear protection.
Just now, I even used it on all the furniture in my living room. It's commercial furniture, and I had never really cared enough to try that before, but the results sure were good. I think I will probably do that from now on, instead of using Pledge. Takes a bit of doing, but it looks fantastic.
It's also useful for driving tiny brass screws into hardwoods. It works better than beeswax. Yet another use, I wax up my trumpets from time to time. They both have worn spots in the lacquer, and the wax helps keep those spots from tarnishing and standing out.
So yeah, I go through a lot of Johnson's, and a lot of 00000 steel wool too. All without using it on my hair. I keep my hair cut at 5/8" and run the buzzy thing through it as soon as it's starting to look like I should reacquaint myself with a comb.
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 04:49:09 -0500, Silvan

I don't have that problem... my wife calls my haircut a "no hawk"..
the basic theory is that God made some really good looking heads... but covered up the ones that didn't turn out too well with hair.. *g*
A guy I work with always says that he's not bald, he's just taller than his hair.

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 13:08:58 -0700, "Charles Spitzer"

My bald spot is just a solar panel for a sex machine.

Great tune!
I've lost track of who it was with the stash of 12 cans.
I just thought he'd find it funny that I moved some stuff off a shelf today, and found three cans I had forgotten about. I stocked up too. :)
Time to rotate. I'll move my old finish can to machine duty, and use the new one for finishing.
Found a few tiny hints of rust on my TS table today, even though I just waxed it a few days ago. Not good. Boo hiss. Waxed the hell out of it again. I can't see my face in it, but if I get at just the right angle, I can see reflections of everything that's behind it with perfect clarity. I hope to keep it that way. Shiny good. Rusty bad. Rusty saw table makes Silvan a saaaaaaaaaad Silvan.
All I was trying to do is to was show everyone where they could buy some paste wax. 80 posts later... I understand Johnson's Paste Wax is a hot topic among WW'ers but geesh...
mac davis wrote:

Mine must be getting better looking every day then. Though I figured it was just because my brain has been expanding and pushing my forehead up as I have acquired more woodworking knowledge.
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:27:50 -0500, Silvan

it might be from all that leaning into the grinding wheel.. maybe you need a spacer like I have.. my stomach has become a curb finder.. lol
mac davis wrote:

A curb finder. Now there's an image. :)

Ah, yes, the Johnson's Paste Wax myth. Yes, you can still get it. I believe it is no longer marketed in Canada, and that is the source of the posts.
Of course, if they no longer sell it in Canada, no telling when and if they will pull it from the US market as well.