Re: New Electrical Regulations

I found some figures relating to electricity in the home on the ROSPA web site:
http://www.rospa.com/CMS/index.asp
"During 2000, there were a total of 44 deaths involving electric current in the UK".
And from their facts and figures page:
"Every year there are approximately 4000 deaths as a result of a home accident".
Says it all really. The government are aiming big by trying to solve 1% of the problem, with legislation that won't reduce deaths at all.

I imagine the figures relating to injury and death from ladders would be far higher than those involving electricity.
Andrew
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 21:20:17 +0100, Andrew McKay

It's a fair bet that a good proportion of those will be abraded or loose flexes, kids poking metal objects into sockets, complete morons working on live appliances, in short, nothing to do with bodged installations. (More likely to cause fires I would have thought.)
I fear for this country, I really do.
--
John

Let alone addressing the issue of how many of these are due to DIY and how many of these are due to "professionals".
It wouldn't suprise me if more electrical problems are caused by rodents (either pets or vermin) given the way a collegue's gerbil loves to remove insulation from flex.

Ah-Ha! Now we have a solution. Leave the building / electrical regs alone and ban people from living in houses. This, along with a proposed ban on all motor vehicles, tobacco products and alcohol, fat in food, meat, carbohydrates, and water (both drinking and bathing) will result in us all living forever and never having an illness or accident - Marvellous!
Richard.

Possibly there is special training involved to ignore any grey (or white) cables already present. It's a pity no-one appears to make trunking with "no mains" printed all over the inside.

That's so that if someone complains he can claim that his wires were in there first. (Thus it's someone else's fault for putting the data cables in with the mains.)

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:43:11 +0100, Andrew McKay

I did some further research on this yesterday, and from the NICEIC web site it would appear that I can apply to become registered with them:
http://www.niceic.org.uk/nonapproved/requirements.html
I then looked into the costs. Basically to become registered with NICEIC I shall see an extra cost to my business of nearly 2000. Here's a breakdown of how I came to those costs......
1) I currently have 1M public liability insurance. That will have to be increased to 2M. I haven't checked the figure but I assume for the sake of argument that will be at least an additional 100 per year.
2) NICEIC annual enrolment fee = 376.
3) NICEIC first year enrolment = 58.75.
4) NICEIC application fee for address inspection = 411.25.
5) Purchase of Robin KTS1620 16th edition tester = 675.63.
6) Calibration certificate for KTS1620 = 88.12.
7) Training for C&G2391 = 140.
There will undoubtedly be other sundries which I haven't yet taken into account.
Some of the above costs are one-off (for example the KTS1620 would only be bought once). Others are recurring. I reckon on having to spend at least 1000 per year in maintaining my registration with the NICEIC.
It appears to be a quango.
Andrew
"Andrew McKay" wrote | I then looked into the costs. Basically to become registered with | NICEIC I shall see an extra cost to my business of nearly 2000... | There will undoubtedly be other sundries which I haven't yet taken | into account.
Especially the billable hours lost in dealing with all that admin and doing the training, exams etc.
| Some of the above costs are one-off (for example the KTS1620 would | only be bought once). Others are recurring. I reckon on having to | spend at least 1000 per year in maintaining my registration with the | NICEIC.
If your hourly contribution to fixed costs is 30, that's about an extra weeks work you'd have to do a year.
Owain
Christian McArdle wrote:

Oooh, good! When will I be able to buy brown and blue wires on great big rolly things? I want some now, I don't want to wait 'till any new regulations come in!
Oh, yes, and the brown wire is earth, isn't it?! Same colour, anyway. I'll just trim this end (bzzzzzzzt!).
________________________________________________________________ Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 18:52:26 +0100, Andrew McKay

It would be black and blue then :-)
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

oh good one!

Our Little Middle Englander is at it again.

Just to return to topic for a nanosecond, and it's only a thought... but have you tried the meeja with this one? I only ask because I just heard the end of You and Yours and they are doing some items on DIY and wanted to know of DIY problems... in fact if you can make it convincing enough they may go a bit further than that if past performance is anything to go by.
Now Y&Y may not be my favourite programme, but they do occasionally hit the right spot, and they've got exactly the right listenership...
Something like http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/youandyours/ I think.
Hwyl!
M.
Don't fight technology, live with it: http://www.livtech.co.uk /
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 13:19:37 +0100, Martin Angove

Good idea, Martin. Radio 4 is one of the few broadcast media for the sentient and this could be worth doing.
I'll contact them....