Re: New Electrical Regulations

It would be black and blue then :-)

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

You will like this story which appeared today then:

"A rapid deterioration in the public finances, sluggish economic growth and a controversial planned change in the Bank of England's inflation target are adding up to an enormous headache for Britain's long-serving finance minister Gordon Brown.

The chancellor, currently holidaying in his native Scotland, may have thought that getting the government's decision not to join the euro out of the way in June would smooth his way to a relatively untroubled second half of 2003.

But it is not to be. There is a growing sense in the City that Brown, who has enjoyed a charmed life since taking the job when Labour swept to power in 1997, may be losing the plot."

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay
.

No. You're making an assumption.

Or even incompetent. Some can't be bothered to use a spell checker, how can we trust them to drive well?

That's funny, I notice that men can't seem to reverse into a space. Or even their drives. And certainly not parking spaces no matter how large.

Don't tell me they're competEnt to be on the road.

In fact, when someone makes irrelevant judgements of people's driving because they don't have willies in which to keep their brains it makes me not bother to consider the rest of their posts.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ah, we are into the CLODS and BOLOC area methinks CLODS - the Centre-Lane Owner-Drivers Society BOLOC - the British Off-Side Lane Owners Club

Reply to
harrogate

jr> Borrow someone else's.... (or at least their registration) ;-)

They do that already.

jr> Hey why not tie it into sat nav and GPS speed sensing etc, you could jr> have the car automatically shop you the moment you go over the speed jr> limit.

Don't be such a soppy liberal. A poison dart shooting out of the steering wheel would seem to be the absolute minimum.

jr> That would pretty soon get everyone off the road - you jr> included. Fancy that?

Wouldn't affect me.

Reply to
Richard Caley

Can I add to those the people who drive up to a roundabout, stop and then look to see if anything is coming. If only they'd look as they're approaching then they'd be able to make better progress by not having to stop and then set off again.

That's not just limited to a few women though, there's a multi storey car park not too far from here that has 3 bays between each pillar and you can guarantee that the first people to park will always go for the middle bay and drive in forwards. To me it's easier to back in to one next to the pillars as there's less chance of anyone knocking doors into you and you get an easier drive out of the space because you're facing the right way.

Don't see any of that round here (Lincolnshire) because we don't have any motorways (I lie a little there, there is some about 60m away), which raises another question, how are we supposed to learn how to use them? I didn't even get out of a 30mph limit on my driving test never mind getting onto anything like a busy dual carriageway or the like. It's laughable really when the powers that be decide that the current driving test is capable of determining whether a person is safe to be on the roads or not.

Reply to
James Hart

I'm game for that if it means a worthwhile decrease in road tax, insurance etc.

Or too sensible to be acted on.

Reply to
James Hart

Why? Do you want my home address and shoe size too. Duh!! You know I really don't care about what place you went to learn to read, or anyone else's either.

Reply to
IMM

Our Little Middle Englander is at it again.

Reply to
IMM

oh good one!

Reply to
IMM

Have I missed something? Has he resigned, or better still been fired?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Not especially, except that your approach to a multitude of issues (and I don't mean political position) do not suggest that you have had a university education.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Do you mean all uni people vote Tory?

Reply to
IMM

Which describes our estate. And our street is narrow and few people park their cars in their drives, yet drivers still drive up and down at far more than the 30 limit. People have been injured. Worse, people park their cars on the pavements, thus forcing pedestrians (yes, there are quite a lot because there's a nursery at the bottom of the street) to walk on the road.

and it was a pleasure.

The item you mention was in the streets where one of our daughters lives, it was a wonderful success and subsequent traffic calming has worked, it's a pleasure to walk round the Methleys now. There was another reason for the streets being congested, that's been eliminated after community action. It took a long time but it was worth it.

No, you're wrong. It was born of desperation and achieved its purpose in the end. It was also a lot of fun.

No, it's daft to say that.

We've had an Escort and we have a scooter. I've never had a problem with any vehicle on the highest bumps (the ones at Templenewsam are the most vicious I've ever seen anywhere) because when we see them we slow right down. That is, they achieve their aim.

I doubt it. We don't want to have to repair vehicles for the sake of saving a few seconds.

They shouldn't be doing that anyway.

In truth I've never seen that claim. Not for 3-4 year olds.

So do I. But boy racers protest. Middle aged boy racers say that they damage their vehicles, that their civil rights are infringed, that they haven't time to slow down in their busy lives.

I say that if vehicles couldn't do more than 20 mph they'd be happy driving at that speed - providing the limit was 10 mph.

I've spent quite a lot of time with the planners about this matter. I wanted them to remove the tarmac from the cobbles at the bottom of the street, one of them said it would damage vehicles which were travelling at more than

20mph. But if the limit is 20mph ... ???????

Incidentally the cobbles were covered with black only when a Labour Lord Mayor was having his induction service at our local church. It was decided that U1 couldn't be risked. It had been OK for hoi polloi until then.

I reckon that when - if? - the traffic calming is undertaken here it could be a Good Thing because they might fill in the holes in the road at the same time. If they don't they'll have to answer to me.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Point illustrated. I specifically excluded political position....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

"John Rumm" wrote | Hey why not tie it into sat nav and GPS speed sensing etc, you could | have the car automatically shop you the moment you go over the speed | limit. That would pretty soon get everyone off the road - you included. | Fancy that? | (As with most suggestions of this type, they amount to nothing more than | unenforceable nonsense when placed under scrutiny)

Didn't Nostradamus write that, a long time in the future, iron would float?

Then we put a man on the moon.

Then we started London congestion charging.

It's only hard until it hasn't been done.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I'm a uni person and I don't vote Tory - well not in million years would I do such a thing to the good people of this nation.

Reply to
IMM

How long have you been like this?

Reply to
IMM

Add the following locations to that:

Center of traffic lights. Vehicles turning right not crossing behind each other.

Entry slip roads onto motorways or other fast roads. Vehicles not indicating, looking or matching speed as they join.

Lane 2 of any empty motorway. Vehicle traveling at 60mph.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , IMM writes

You're not wrong there. It's not just the old, there are lots of people trundling along in a world of their own, pulling out without looking, they might have indicated, but ...

Reply to
geoff