Soakaways

Is it normal for a house built in the mid 70's to have the roof rainwater drain-off ending in a soak-away? I'm building a largish patio and because of the area am including a driveway drain at the lowest side. I was planning on splicing into the rainwater drain but when I dug down to find the drain pipe I found that it ended in a soakaway. It's made things much simpler for me because now I can just feed the drain from the patio down into the soakaway as well rather than having to break into a run of drain pipe. I'm just surprised, however, to find a house rainwater drain ending in a soakaway!

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

Where else would it go?

Reply to
Geoffrey

I didn't quite mean that - what I meant was, what else are soakaways for?

Reply to
Geoffrey

Why don't you divert the roof water into a butt and use it on the garden? We do, it's marvellous! Spouse is trying to work out how to do something similar for the caravans :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes, very common. If you read the drainage sections of the building regs then that is one of the prefered ways of dealing with rain water.

Reply to
John Rumm

Well, I know what they are for - I just assumed that they were a last resort when 'grey-water' sewers were not available. There are both foul-water sewers and grey water sewers around my house and so I expected the rain water to go into a proper sewer and not into a soak-away which seems rather crude! Incidentally I found the end of the drain pipe was almost completely clogged with dirt, debris, and a mesh of fine roots. All this had just piled up against the rocks in the soakaway.

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

Ok - thanks for that. You learn something new every day! I had always assumed that soak-aways were a final resort where grey-water sewers were not available. Incidentally, is draining the run-off from a 30 square meter patio into the soak-away likely to 'overload' it? In other words, is the size of the soakaway determined at 'build' by the area to be drained (eg, one side of a house roof) ?

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

The building regs prefer soakaways as a way of dealing with rainfall because they allow it to be soaked into the ground over a long(er) period thus helping to prevent some of the disasterous flooding we've seen in the last year. They also avoid sewage plants becomming overloaded during periods of peak rainfall, the outcome of which is, er, unpleasant.

The calculation of the size is non-trivial because a lot of the data you need is not readily available. In particular you need to know the likely sustained rainfall rate in your area as well as the permeability of the ground. Your local BCO might be able and willing to help if you ask.

30m2 is quite large, consider 1cm of rain falling reasonably quickly, that's 0.3m3 of water. If you are on sand then no worries but if you are on clay then you probably have to allow for storing all of that in the short term. As most normal domestic soakaways I've seen are about 1m2 that's a third of the volume without any other considerations.

In practice of course everyone just digs a big hole and fills it with rubble but you could look at some of the comercially available high-tech solutions based around a plastic latticework and a permeable membrane - sort of like upturned milk crates - basically anything which provides some temporary storage so that the water can soak in over time.

If you have a 70's house you may find the soakaway is rather too close for present day standards. Ours was about 2 metres away until we built our extension, now it's the minimum permitted 5m.

HTH Calvin

Reply to
Calvin

In our area ( Southern Water ) they automatically charge £19 for the disposal of surface water. However if you can establish your house uses soakaways - most modern houses - then the charge will be removed from the bill. Not a fortune but hey it pays for one month's BB.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Pandy

Even with sewage plants, 20 million tonnes of sewage flow into the river Thames every year.

Graham

Reply to
graham

All the detail you could want can be found here:

John Rumm

How do I establish if our house uses soakaways?

Roger

Reply to
Roger

I always thought the reverse, gery-water sewers only being provided were soakaways were not practical.

To respond to someone else, grey water sewers do not discharge though a sewage works. They either go (almost) directly into a river, sea, or a soakaway.

Not that I should worry having no sewers whatsoever in the road. :-(

Reply to
mike

I was fortunate in as much as I can still see the layout in the drive where they were concreted *after* the main drive, however my neighbour consulted his deeds prior to my claim and so the fact that these houses were not connected to the main sewer had sort of been established. I believe it to be the case that this has been the situation since before the war, but I couldn't swear to it.

However I also confirmed it by putting a hose down the downpipe and noting it didn't appear in the sewer ! I tried to get hold of some drain dye but without success. One plumbers merchant suggested emulsion paint but that didn't seem a good idea.

Anyway I completed the official form with the facts as I knew them, including my ' water test ' and they accepted - I'm pretty sure they already knew - that this house is not connected to the sewer and removed the charge.

No doubt it's a short term saving, as if enough people opt out, they will have to eventually recover the income another way.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Pandy

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:29:21 +0100,it is alleged that Andy Pandy spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

[snip]

It would be a great shame if they did. I have been reading (since the thread about filtering grey water for gardening) about the actual causes of the droughts. Turns out if everyone (40m households) used soakaways, the problem would be greatly reduced.

Dumping the rainwater into rivers (via drainage) is what is causing the problem, it fails to replenish groundwater. Maybe water companies should give us free water if we can prove use of a soakaway?

Reply to
Chip

Fluorescein's the stuff to use, from chemical suppliers. It's not expensive and you don't need much.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

There shouldn't be any "rocks" in your soakaway.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

What should be in the soakaway then? In "normal" terms a soakaway is a hole in the ground filled with rubble (Rocks if you want) into which the rainwater pipes go. Sometimes nowadays a hole in the ground is lined with a perforated concrete ring system, then capped and is hollow but this is not usual, certainly for properties of more than a few years old

Reply to
Mike Taylor

Well, if you take the roof off and don't open the door, they'll fill up all by themselves...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Mary,

Tow the butt.