Is is legal to have exposed Romex in a home?

I have a home with a dark living room because they never put a light in there. I know this is typical of many older homes, where they expected people to use lamps, and some even had switched outlets for the lamps.

I dont like lamps. They waste space, are easy to knock over, and most dont provide good light anyhow.

Because of the way the building was made, it's impossible to run wires inside the structure above the ceiling, without serious damage to the ceiling or other parts of the building. I cant fathom ripping apart a ceiling and having to rebuild it, just to add a light fixture.

I am aware of the channel stuff, which is sold as "Wiremold". I've seen that stuff used in commecial buildings, but never in homes. I did check into it, and it is easily available, and dont seem hard to use. It is rather costly though.

The more I think about it, having "Wiremold" or just a plain piece of romex across the ceiling is not much different. Either way, there is an obvious wire running across the ceiling. And plain romex is actually less thick, so it's less visible than that channel. And both of them can be painted to match the ceiling color.

So, I'm more inclined to just use exposed romex. It's cheaper and will do the same thing. And I know enough how to lay it flat and straight.

Where it comes down the wall, to a switch, I should be able to fish it down inside the wall, and just make a small hole at the ceiling where it enters the wall cavity. There is already a switch on that wall for the porch light. The plan is to just remove the single box and add a double box there so I can have 2 switches. I already checked and that box has both hot and neutral in it.

So, my only question is whether it's legal (by code) to have exposed romex in a home? I cant see why it would not be legal, since my garage has all the romex exposed, except thats not a living space, and in the house it will be attached to a finished ceiling, rather than to the studs and rafters in the garage.

Reply to
dandee

hubops

Romex can be exposed under certain condition. IIRC is must be 8' above the floor so people don't use it as a clothes line.

Home Depot has raceway in 5' lengths for less than 6 bucks. It will look more professional for not much money.

Unlike you, I prefer lamps with shades. The light is much softer and less glare than ceiling fixtures, but your house, your choice. Good luck with the project.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I tried to load this in two browsers. I have cookies enabled. Both give me this: (And then they wonder why I hate websites).

Reply to
dandee

The short answer is yes. It can be run open, on the surface, where it's not subject to damage, so the ceiling would qualify. But is sure would look like hell. You say you don't want to rip the ceiling apart and rebuild it, but depending on how the joists run, you might only need a hole where the fixture is going anyway and holes where the wall meets the ceiling. That's some work, the biggest pain would be having to paint, IMO. I'd opt for that over exposed Romex. The wiremold like product would look like less of a hack job, look less unusual, but it's not pretty either. Have you considered some torch type lamps that shoot light upward, bounce it off the ceiling?

Reply to
trader_4

where non metallic sheathed cable is surface mounted at a height of less than 1.5 m (5') above a floor or in any location where it is subject to mechanical damage, the cable shall be protected by installing protective moulding, guarding, or piping over the cable. Rule 12-518. Ontario Electrical Safety Code 24th Edition/2009.

Reply to
hubops

Probably legal in your application but it will make the house look like a tenement on the inside.

It isn't that difficult to trench the sheet rock and run the wires in a proper fashion.

Reply to
Dove Tail

You would also need to look at the local building/fire code and make sure Romex does not need to be covered by a 15 minute fire wall in habitable spaces. (1/2" of sheet rock) Some do, some don't.

Reply to
gfretwell

It's your own home, do as you like and stop following silly little pathetic pedantic rules.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Fine if you never plan on selling your house and you never see an insurance inspector.

Reply to
gfretwell

Sell it to someone who isn't fussy. I didn't get any tests done on this house before I bought it.

Never heard of an insurance inspector. They keep themselves to themselves. You pay the premium, they give you cash when something gets nicked.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I suppose that would be a consideration, even though it's sort of senseless. If there is a fire that bad, it probably wont much matter if that wire burns. But it seems a lot of the codes are kind of senseless.

But I do still follow them as required, stupid or not....

By the way, I'm in the USA for those quoting Canada codes.

Reply to
dandee

The US (NEC) code does not give a height but "subject to physical damage" is in the eye of the jurisdiction and some will assume some arbitrary height. Most of the country does not have the 15 minute deal either but you did not say where you were. The biggest issue is just asthetics at this point. If your wife is OK with it I suppose it is nobody else's business.

Reply to
gfretwell

Exposed romex in the living room? You definitively don't live with a woman :-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

What is to disclose? "Hey Bozo, look up"?

Reply to
gfretwell

The house belongs to you. Allowing your government to dictate what happens in your OWN HOME which YOU PAID FOR is absolutely pathetic.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Beans?

Reply to
gfretwell

James Wilkinson Sword

My old flat mate used to light farts all the time. He figured out that you don't want to do it if you are nude. He set his pubes on fire. Good thing he was holding a beer or he could have been in big trouble.

Reply to
gfretwell

Pubes are an unnecessary device anyway. It's healthier and more hygienic to shave them off.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword