I installed an outlet several feet from an existing outlet using NON
metallic wiremold in a residential finished (plasterboard) GARAGE,
which is an integral part of the house. The cable used was romex 14-2
with ground type NM.
All works well.
Question (after the fact): Is NON metallic wiremold satisfactory or
should I have used METALLIC wiremold?
On Mon, 24 May 2010 15:14:05 -0700, David Nebenzahl
The strange thing is that there are placed that let you run Romex
exposed on running boards in utility areas.
It is really just what your local building department calls "exposed
to physical damage".
For that matter MC cable is not allowed if it is exposed to physical
I have seen the acceptable wiring method to be Romex to ENT to the
various flexible armored wiring methods to PVC (still not legal if
exposed to physical damage) or EMT which bumps you up to less than
"severe" physical damage. That is the same as wire mold
I guess the QUESTION is, what is the RISK? For example if there is
SEVERE risk of PHYSICAL damage, or CONFLICT between the wiremold and
other things (might get DAMAGED by a GARDEN RAKE), then there is CAUSE
for CONCERN. On the OTHER hand, perhaps the WIRE MOLD is in a remote
part of the GARAGE where there is no RISK of damage.
Why not just use 1/2" plastic conduit. The plastic stuff provides a lot
more protection that the wiremold and if you avoid the boxes you can freely
use a hose to wash the walls down.
Use plenty of clamps just in case someone tries to use a box or the conduit
as a step.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.