Wiremold in a garage

I installed an outlet several feet from an existing outlet using NON metallic wiremold in a residential finished (plasterboard) GARAGE, which is an integral part of the house. The cable used was romex 14-2 with ground type NM. All works well. Question (after the fact): Is NON metallic wiremold satisfactory or should I have used METALLIC wiremold? tia

Reply to
shellyfD_ELET_E

Actually, the best place to ask that question would be at your local code enforcement office. See the yellow pages of blue pages of gvt offices. They have the last work on codes.

Reply to
Twayne

We used plastic wiremold for hospitals. The only thing we had to do extra was to mount it to the wall with anchors. The glue was not acceptable.

In many areas, romex is allowed without the wiremold.

Reply to
Metspitzer

They are both listed for use in places exposed to physical damage but not "severe physical damage". The difference is purely a judgement call. That is the same rule they have for EMT.

Reply to
gfretwell

I guess the QUESTION is, what is the RISK? For example if there is SEVERE risk of PHYSICAL damage, or CONFLICT between the wiremold and other things (might get DAMAGED by a GARDEN RAKE), then there is CAUSE for CONCERN. On the OTHER hand, perhaps the WIRE MOLD is in a remote part of the GARAGE where there is no RISK of damage.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On 5/23/2010 5:49 PM Metspitzer spake thus:

Romex? Really? I'd think not. Conduit, yes. MC cable, sure (well, probably: I've used it in closets), but not Romex.

At least I wouldn't even try it.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

The strange thing is that there are placed that let you run Romex exposed on running boards in utility areas. It is really just what your local building department calls "exposed to physical damage". For that matter MC cable is not allowed if it is exposed to physical damage either. I have seen the acceptable wiring method to be Romex to ENT to the various flexible armored wiring methods to PVC (still not legal if exposed to physical damage) or EMT which bumps you up to less than "severe" physical damage. That is the same as wire mold

Reply to
gfretwell

Why not just use 1/2" plastic conduit. The plastic stuff provides a lot more protection that the wiremold and if you avoid the boxes you can freely use a hose to wash the walls down.

Use plenty of clamps just in case someone tries to use a box or the conduit as a step.

Reply to
John Gilmer

If you plan to use plastic outdoors, be sure to check the UV resistance etc.. Some of the cheap stuff will crumble in just a few years sitting in the sun.

Reply to
Twayne