Curent electrical regulations

Am I right in thinking that no matter how dysfunctional or prone to nuisance tripping it is, a 30mA whole house RCD still meets current regulations?
And in a 16 year old property that is to be let, does it NEED to meet current regulations anyway?
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Current regulations would require split over dual RCDs (or individual RCBOs) but it only needs to meet what was current when built or modified.
On Thursday, 12 July 2018 11:37:07 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

no, need a split CU at the minimum And I would think an RCD that keeps nuisance tripping leaves the landlord open to the claim that the property does not satisfy the contract.

It needs an electrical inspection every 5 years, and anything that fails to meet current standard at those times be brought within spec. So yes.
NT
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Only *needs* it if an HMO ... otherwise just needs to be safe, I suppose inspections are a good way of demonstrating that.
On 12/07/2018 12:10, Andy Burns wrote:

Generally a house is given a 10 year certificate. For rental properties it is suggested that it is tested again on change of tenant. I would suggest that is a a bit overkill and that a visual inspection is good enough unless you know they have swapped light fittings etc.
--
Adam

Are you sure about that. I can think of many people around here renting out houses that still have the old wiring from the 70s but have had work done etc including smart meters. Brian
--
----- --

What degree of inspection occurs when a smart meter is fitted (genuine question)? In other words is the presence of a recently-fitted smart meter any indication the rest of the installation is reasonably OK?
(any house, not just rental ones).
ps What's a SEAP 2001-V, almost no online footprint compared to the 2000-V
--
Roland Perry

Roland Perry wrote :

There is no inspection, nor are they qualified to inspect. Those swapping gas meters are trained to carry out a basic drop test as the fit them, which just ensure there are no existing leaks.

I saw my first smart-metered installation this week (yes, I should get out more) and I wondered if they'd at least do an earth leakage test on a system which only had old-fashioned wired fuses.
--
Roland Perry

They are replacing the meter not checking the premises wiring. The most you could reasonably expect is a phasing check pre and post install with a plug in tester and a visual on the integrity of the main earth termination at the cable head end.
The Other Mike wrote:

That's about all they did here, other than notice I'd improved the tails from 16mm to 25mm, so they upped the cut-out fuse from 60A to 80A.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote on 12/07/2018 :

Think about it, no it does not. Imagine having to rewire a property every five years, just to bring it up to current standards. Regulations are not applied retro spectively. What met regulations at the time it was installed, remains satisfactory now. Though it might be advisable to bring an installation more up to date with current regulations.
On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 14:55:09 +0100, Harry Bloomfield

Do the same rules apply to rental properties. ISTR some of the gas safety rules had retrospective effect (eg, hard-wired smoke detectors). .
On 12/07/2018 15:02, Scott wrote:

In England a landlord of an ordinary domestic property (not an HMO) is only required to keep the electrical installation in a safe condition. (Smoke and CO alarms don't have to be mains so are really a separate issue.) HMOs require more - eg a EICR every 5 years.
Scotland, Wales and NI do their own thing. Eg Scotland requires PAT for landlord-provided appliances.
--
Robin

Do we not also require to provide alarms that are hard-wired (2007 onwards) and interlinked? I understand the landlord can carry out the PAT testing if he/she passes a test in the subject.
On 12/07/2018 16:30, Scott wrote:

What makes you think so in England?
I'm not a landlord and I've not helped anyone who is with the regs since 2014. But I saw nothing in the new regs in 2015 to require interlinked mains alarms in non-HMO properties and can't see anything in the current guidance on gov.uk or from my council.
I also don't know of any legislation that applies to _existing_ properties, when rented, the higher standards for new builds in the current Building Regs. But that's not saying a lot given the length and width and height and depth of my ignorance.

I don't know what the Scots do and don't accept.
--
Robin

Don't know about England. I'm in Scotland. I was responding to your second paragraph, specifically the latter part of your last sentence.

You may find this instructive: https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guides-and-advice/scottish-landlords/
As far as I am aware this is a UK newsgroup, not an English one.
On 12/07/2018 19:22, Scott wrote:

Fair enough.
Of course I did start that sentence "Eg" by which I hoped to indicate that it was not the only difference but I apologise if you feel insulted by the absence of recognition of the requirement for interlinked alarms (which as it happens I did know about). I apologise equally to any Welsh or Northern Irish readers who feel I should have kept quiet if I was not willing to provide an exhaustive account of all 4 regimes.

Thanks.

Yes. Which I is why I mentioned that this was a devolved matter for Scotland, Wales and NI. And made clear where I was referring to England. You have then very successfully caught me out by using "we" without any clue as to which jurisdiction you had in mind. Well done.
--
Robin

I see no need to respond in detail as I don't think we disagree fundamentally. I am Scottish and live in Scotland. I nonetheless supported England in the World Cup, as part of the 'family'. My intention was simply to point out that there are four parts of the UK, not to start a demand for Indyref 2. As a landlord myself, I find it quite interesting that there are different ideas as to what is needed.
On 12/07/2018 19:14, Robin wrote:

Well yesterday they had their second best ever moment of glory in the World Cup finals.
--
Adam