Qualcast electric hedge trimmer clutch

I asked some while ago if these things might include a clutch to prevent overload, because the drive was frequently slipping and received no answer. It is the 600w model, with a blade able to be rotated from H to V cut.
I have been inside and no, there is no clutch at all. The slippage was due to a worn drive system.. The end of the motor shaft has a pinion, which drives crown wheel, which was partially supported on one side by a casting. The quite soft metal crown wheel had worn in one spot, which was where it was causing slipping. The crown wheel was on a spindle, with a small roller bearing top and bottom, bottom in rigid casting, top bearing supported by the plastic housing. Absolutely no adjustment anywhere at all and a very poor design.
I fitted a small washer under the bottom bearing, to push the crown wheel a tad further out of the casting, making the crown wheel a tighter fit against the motor pinion. It will not likely last long.
I have had it around three years, during which time have have probably cut our bit of hedge around nine times in total, so rather disappointed that it survived such a short time.
On 12/07/18 10:28, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Ihave found that sort of behaviors in many later electric triummers. They are built to a price and a quality that just takes them through warranty.
A cast mezak crown wheel is pence. To machine a decent one out of hard steel is pounds.
Go figure.
I inherited a B & D electric drill from my father - he got it around 1960. It lasted until 1995
I have had three sinec then, all scrapped.
The Natural Philosopher used his keyboard to write :

Me too, it was still in GWO when I took it to the dump.
I still have my old 1970s b/d mains drill as good as the day it was made. Over engineered but then if everyone made things this way they would never get another sale would they? grin. Brian
--
----- --
Brian Gaff wrote:

Unless they made a range of products, or thought people would give recommendations ...

Unlikely that many would buy too many and the same consideration would apply with those, and their kids would get the long lived product when they die too.
or thought people would give

It has always been one real problem that prevents the best designs from being what is sold, particularly when the stuff that lasts forever will be more expensive to make.
The other weird thing is that cars now last much longer, but you don’t see too many keep them much longer.
After serious thinking Jack James wrote :

I wonder why that is?
They are relatively much cheaper to buy, people have more more and less inclination to get involved, less of the needed skills for repairing them themselves. Labour costs and parts to repair them are relatively so much more expensive. Then the MOT filters many out now.

I don’t believe that any of those are the reason most people get a brand new car now.
Rod Speed wrote on 12/07/2018 :

Well, go on, explain what you think the reasons are..

Basically they can afford to do it now with cars relatively so cheap now.
Rod Speed brought next idea :

Er, was that not well covered when I wrote - 'They are relatively much cheaper to buy,....' ???
Hmm, Funny that somebody told me that the same company, probably badge engineers a petrol Strimmer but that has drive and feed problems where it gets stuck with no drive due to plastic engineering. Maybe they need a better buyer or designer over there. Do Qualcast still really exist, or are they just a badge used by somebody for el cheapo imported crap? Brian
--
----- --
Brian Gaff pretended :

They are just badge engineered, cheap imports.
Such a shame as they used to make great lawn mowers at one time. Brian
--
----- --
Brian Gaff formulated the question :

That is what the purchasers of the brand name rely upon..
Bosch took over Qualcast 23 years ago.

Martin in Zuid Holland