LED lamp power supply

I have a LED lamp, I suspect the PSU (which is at the plug) has packed in.

Can I just snip it off and use one of the numerous similar rated wall warts I have knocking about or do they need something specific?

Reply to
R D S

If it says what it supplies, then just use something with the same voltage and at least the same current.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Depends. It may want a constant voltage or constant current supply. What's the make/model? Failing that, does it have a user-replaceable "bulb" and if so of what sort?

Reply to
Robin

LEDs are driven constant current, warts are mostly constant voltage. But it is more complex than that of course. What _exactly_ are the wart's output specs? What voltage does a multimeter say it's giving?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

So if you know the rating of the one that was supplied by implication any other should do the job. as always, voltage, polarity current drain and starting drain are the most important aspects to consider. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Bit late if its popped its cloggs. Actually I've noticed some lamps sold as task lights have an Led lamp which has a constant current drive in it and has a nominal input voltage of 5 volts at quite a fair current. I imagine very much it depends on the bulb and where the constant current bit is. Its a little odd to find a wall wart permanently connected if its just a standard one so I'd be a little wary myself. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

nope

nope

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

nope

you imagine correctly for once

Reply to
tabbypurr

There's no power coming out of it.

It's a Lidl uplighter, wart spec OP 24v 1.5a CV SELV

Reply to
R D S

ISTM that's CV as in "constant voltage" (as opposed to CC as in "constant current").

Reply to
Robin

I'd say the answer is maybe. If it uses a standard PS - ie just plain AC or DC - then probably a similar one will be OK, as the LED driver electronics will be inside the fitting. But if it uses a wall wart with the driver built into that, you'd need a similar replacement.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So you want a regulated 24v @ >1.5A power supply. SELV implies it needs to be isolated which some cheap chinese switchmodes aren't.

but it doesn't say selv but its class II.

Reply to
dennis

I would agree with that.

It's not going to be easy to find another plug in version.

Reply to
ARW