which LED bulb and holder for desk lamp?

Hi, I'm making a desk lamp from pebbles and driftwood. The main motivation is in producing a useful sculpture, I don't know much about the lighting te chnicalities. I've been doing web searches for several days and eliminated some possible options.

Considering the need for an integral shade holder and the requirement of fi tting the lamp holder to a stainless steel bracket I'm thinking that the ni ckel plated versions of either the E14 (small Edison fitting), or the E27(s tandard Edison fitting)should be the most likely choice.

I'd prefer to choose the smaller option for compactness but the E14 lamp ho lders I've seen seem to have a longer body and are described as being candl e bulb holders.

There are various LED lamps, both globe and the flatter faced spotlight typ e with the E14 screw fitting but I'm not sure if they'll fit into a candle bulb lamp holder.

This may seem like a finicky question that could be resolved by trial and e rror but I've already made a few mistaken Ebay orders in pursuit of this pr oject, so a bit of advice on the matter would be most appreciated.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Judging by my 3 desk lights, they're better with E14 and golf ball lamp. The lamp sits well back in the shade and the spread of light is even. In one, there's a candle in a B22 - E14 adaptor and it's near the front of the shade and the spread is largely due to the lamp, not the shade.

Reply to
PeterC

ion is in producing a useful sculpture, I don't know much about the lightin g technicalities.

f fitting the lamp holder to a stainless steel bracket I'm thinking that th e nickel plated versions of either the E14 (small Edison fitting), or the E

27(standard Edison fitting)should be the most likely choice.

p holders I've seen seem to have a longer body and are described as being c andle bulb holders.

type with the E14 screw fitting but I'm not sure if they'll fit into a can dle bulb lamp holder.

nd error but I've already made a few mistaken Ebay orders in pursuit of thi s project, so a bit of advice on the matter would be most appreciated.

Thanks, I'll go for the E14 with golf ball lamp then. I've got to make the shade yet. Being near several camping grounds I'm thinking of making the sh ade from a cut up camping gas cylinder, if I can devise a way of being sure it's safely workable.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

ion is in producing a useful sculpture, I don't know much about the lightin g technicalities.

f fitting the lamp holder to a stainless steel bracket I'm thinking that th e nickel plated versions of either the E14 (small Edison fitting), or the E

27(standard Edison fitting)should be the most likely choice.

p holders I've seen seem to have a longer body and are described as being c andle bulb holders.

type with the E14 screw fitting but I'm not sure if they'll fit into a can dle bulb lamp holder.

nd error but I've already made a few mistaken Ebay orders in pursuit of thi s project, so a bit of advice on the matter would be most appreciated.

The cable to the lamp holder will spiral along what was once a small tree b ranch. It will be disguised as climbing ivy by adding modeled leaves.

I was initially set on using a metal lamp holder so as to err on the heavy duty side but is it this choice that would make 3 core, rather than 2 core cable necessary?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Probably; there may be double-insulated metal lampholders but you might be better to avoid them for home-made things.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

If you're worried about gas explosions - fill it with water. (you can empty it again before cutting)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris