Electrical

I have a home alarm installed. The output plug is 16.5 vac and 20 va. This is connected to a low voltage wire. When I stapled the wire to the wall, there was a super small spark. I inspected the wire there was a small mark. The red and black tiny wires were barely exposed and when I peeled away the white insulation to inspect, actually the insulation a looks to be intact on red and black wires and not touching as the power was still flowing to the alarm. I used electrical tape to cover the exposue. Is this safe?

Reply to
Bigsbaby

It is likely safe if PROPERLY taped. Be more carefull with the stapler!!!

Reply to
clare

replying to clare, Bigsbaby wrote: Properly?

Reply to
Bigsbaby

In other words, don't just put tape over the nicked wires...make sure the tape is /between/ the exposed wires.

Reply to
philo

Wrap the tape tightly around each conductor separately . By tightly I meand stretched on - which requires good vinyl based tape, not the stuff that is thick and hard.

Reply to
clare

Don't tell me you've never used hockey stick tape for wires when you ran out of the vinyl stuff. Are you a real Canadian or not?

Reply to
Mike Duffy

I have been known to "temporarily" use duct tape. Years and years ago we used "friction rape" and it was as loust as the old paper and tar wrapped original Romex and knob and tube wiring it was used with..

Now I only use good vinyl tape - and keep several rolls of the stuff around the house, truck, garage, and office. Allways within reach if I haven't burried them.

Reply to
clare