GE Profile icemaker stopped working

We have a GE Profile side by side Model PSHS6RGXCDSS and the ice machine has stopped working.

It keeps making this noise like it's trying to make ice but I'm not seeing any ice.

The feeler arm seems to be back in the full position but I'm not sure how far that arm is supposed to come out. There is very little play with it. I can push it back about an 1/8th of an inch but it is pretty far back already.

I am wondering if the waterline somehow got frozen.

It definitely sounds like it is trying hard to make ice but not being supplied with water. That's my uneducated guess. The noise it's making is kind of annoying and it never stops.

I scheduled a service call but would like to fix it on my own if possible.

So far I tried the following:

  1. Turning it off and on using the switch on the icemaker.
  2. Turning the fridge off and on from the fuse box.
  3. Taking the ice tray out and resetting it.

I would appreciate any suggesting on things I can try.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
szeik

Check out this video and the others on YouTube relevant to your issue.

Stormin' Norman

Thanks,

I checked out the video.

My spring seems to be connected properly.

I am not able to pull out the feeler bar like the video shows. It is stuck in the full position. I guess that's why it is not making ice.

I tried pulling on it a bit but it feels like I'm going to break it.

Reply to
szeik

Did you search the other videos?

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Yeah, I hunted quite a bit earlier today.

Reply to
szeik

If the arm is only moving 1/8", I would say the mechanism is jammed for one reason or another (yeah, I know), if you are handy, I would shut off the water and remove the unit and inspect it. One way or the other it probably has to come out. If you can fix it, you avoid the service guy telling you that you need a whole new unit.

This is probably one of those "don't be afraid to tinker" situations.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

the solenoid that opens the water valve is probably bad.

the solenoids are expensive, best bet is probably replacing thenice maker kit

Reply to
bob haller

Making noise is a clue that something may be jammed and the motor is trying to eject ice. Did you feel inside to see if there is ice in place? There are fingers under the cubes that push them out. If one jams, it will make noise but not eject.

Possible solutions are to feel if something is jamming and remove it. Another is to remove the ice maker and defrost it.

You can get a lot of information at:

Ed Pawlowski

I took a closer look at the unit and at the top there are these little whit e plastic fingers. One of them is bent and looks like is stuck behind a li ttle piece of plastic. If I can figure out how to disconnect the ice maker maybe I can fix it. Disconnecting the power supply doesn't seem so straig ht forwards. I tried pulling it off but it is very snug. There must be so me trick to pulling that plug off. It seems to be locked on.

Something definitely sounds stuck or jammed.

Reply to
szeik

Oren posted for all of us...

Oh yeah! He put a laminating machine in the freezer for two days and still got nada...

Reply to
Tekkie®