Building regulations

Confused I am

Just had an electric shower replaced by the land lord in the property I rent The plumber told me that the electrics will have to be signed off now due to changes in the 2005 regulations, and Jo public cannot DIY jobs like this anymore?? (presumable thay can but will come unstuck when they want to sell?)

Now, I took out a wall, re-wired a kitchen, put in a downstairs loo, etc, etc, in my previous owned house. Does this mean regulations have changed that I cannot DIY anymore?

How can the likes of B&Q sell electrical items or in fact anything like toilets etc, if planning or inspectors stop the likes of me doing DIY ?

I've looked at the Office of the Deputy Primie Minister and am struggling to find a clear cut answer to what I can and cannot do.

Anyone got a link or can advise ?

Ta

Reply to
Vass

Just as its illegal to do gas work unless Corgi registered, but appliances are in B&Q!

See

Gel

IMHO all the trendy new regs will do is raise the cost of (qualified) electricians and so encourage more DIYers to ignore the rules. Pre-2005 mods are all retrospectively OK so if the old wiring colours are used post

2005, I don't understand how this can be regulated. It will be impossible to prove whether a modification was done post 2005 unless you get the CSI forensic squad in from channel 5. Also the rules are fuzzy eg " ..there are some exceptions for high risk areas such as kitchens and bathrooms". Is a kitchen still a kitchen if its the same space as the living room.
Reply to
Rusty

Thinking back then, would I have needed any planning or permissions for the following carried out in 2003 ?

Install Downstairs loo and pipe into existing soil pipe (soil pipe was iron, replaced with plastic) Remove wall between Kitchen and Dining room (after builder told me not supporting wall, however theres some serious settlement in the brickwall above in bedroom now) Installed complete new kitchen and new ring circuit + cooker supply Removed wall between bathroom and toilet upstairs, moved loo 3 foot accross wall, new bathroom installed + electric shower.

If it comes to selling the house would any problems arise due to no sign offs by authorised bodies?

-- Vass

Reply to
Vass

Interesting comments today on electricians and part P down at uk.d-i-y