Curent electrical regulations

What makes you think so in England?

I'm not a landlord and I've not helped anyone who is with the regs since

2014. But I saw nothing in the new regs in 2015 to require interlinked mains alarms in non-HMO properties and can't see anything in the current guidance on gov.uk or from my council.

I also don't know of any legislation that applies to _existing_ properties, when rented, the higher standards for new builds in the current Building Regs. But that's not saying a lot given the length and width and height and depth of my ignorance.

I don't know what the Scots do and don't accept.

Reply to
Robin

Don't know about England. I'm in Scotland. I was responding to your second paragraph, specifically the latter part of your last sentence.

You may find this instructive:

As far as I am aware this is a UK newsgroup, not an English one.

Reply to
Scott

passing a test and working properly are not necessarily the same thing. I remember visiting a school somewhere in the west country where they had radio reception problems. The problem was a faulty radio. "But its just passed a test!". - PAT test - it was perfectly safe.

Reply to
charles

Of course I did start that sentence "Eg" by which I hoped to indicate that it was not the only difference but I apologise if you feel insulted by the absence of recognition of the requirement for interlinked alarms (which as it happens I did know about). I apologise equally to any Welsh or Northern Irish readers who feel I should have kept quiet if I was not willing to provide an exhaustive account of all 4 regimes.

Yes. Which I is why I mentioned that this was a devolved matter for Scotland, Wales and NI. And made clear where I was referring to England. You have then very successfully caught me out by using "we" without any clue as to which jurisdiction you had in mind. Well done.

Reply to
Robin

Well yesterday they had their second best ever moment of glory in the World Cup finals.

Reply to
ARW

Is it constantly or frequently? Ours trips more often than I'd like, but with a ridiculous number of electronic devices with filters that leak to earth in our house, there is not a lot of margin and I can't afford to go through the hassle of replacing the CU to allow for splitting between two RCDs or switching to RCBOs.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I suppose if you're willing to put up with it, fine. Although it's not that big a job to change a CU if you're half competent.

Point I was really making was the likes of Turnip expecting tenants to accept any old crap and be grateful.

BTW, I've got lots of electronics in this house too. And never once had a nuisance trip. Although I do have a split load unit, all the electronic stuff is on the RCD side.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OK. I can let the place with a 1930s electrical system then? If you say so.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I can't remember having one either.

Yup. I think I only have the lights on the non RCD side but it's been a while since I re-wired this house.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

In message , at 14:49:15 on Thu, 12 Jul

2018, Brian Gaff remarked:

What degree of inspection occurs when a smart meter is fitted (genuine question)? In other words is the presence of a recently-fitted smart meter any indication the rest of the installation is reasonably OK?

(any house, not just rental ones).

ps What's a SEAP 2001-V, almost no online footprint compared to the 2000-V

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 15:49:10 on Thu, 12 Jul 2018, Tim Watts remarked:

Thus a really old wooden one is a no-no I suppose?

Reply to
Roland Perry

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com brought next idea :

That would not be appropriate and you would be taking an extreme risk. It is also highly unlikely that any normal domestic premises would still have a 1930's installation still in use, because it simply would not be adequate and serve modern needs.

I would suggest the vast majority (99%) of installations are at least post 1985.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

There is no inspection, nor are they qualified to inspect. Those swapping gas meters are trained to carry out a basic drop test as the fit them, which just ensure there are no existing leaks.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The main problems with a 1930s would be the stae of the insulation on the cable - probably VIR. It would also have wire fuses, possibly on bothe live & neutral/

My own installation is early 1980s tidy up of, probably, 1970s wiring with some later additions - kitchen in 1989, for instance.

Reply to
charles

Trips on mine have sometimes been a harbinger for other failure, e.g. after an iron went POP! the tripping went away ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

no wooden CU or wood backed CU meets current regs.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

so you accept your advice was complete bs

I know 2 houses that still have some 1930s electrical stuff installed in them. I don't doubt there are others.

more bull

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In message , at

01:58:18 >> In message , at 15:49:10 on

Including the rental-inspection regs?

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 09:09:02 on Fri, 13 Jul

2018, Harry Bloomfield remarked:

I saw my first smart-metered installation this week (yes, I should get out more) and I wondered if they'd at least do an earth leakage test on a system which only had old-fashioned wired fuses.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Quite. So unless you're running some sort of computer farm from your house, a single RCD will only do 'nuisance trips' when there is a fault or faults.

Perish the thought you should actually find out what that fault is.

Far better to spend your time on here writing endless crap about the EU and climate change.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)